Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Been told I'm going through menopause

(8 Posts)
Bluedolphin1971 Sat 31-Oct-15 15:00:29

Hello

Yesterday I went to the doctors to get results of my blood test and the doctor told me I'm going through menopause. I asked if it was perimenopause, but she told me no it's the menopause.

I'm actually devestated. I cried in the doctors surgery, I cried all day yesterday. I guess I'm devestated because well I think I just feel old now and I'm only 44. The doctor couldn't understand why I was so upset especially when I told her I didn't want any more children.

Even though I went to the doctors to check if I was going through the menopause, deep down I didn't think I was going through it because the only symptoms I've had are night sweats (which aren't too bad), losing some hair and forgetfulness. I don't have a period due to me having an endometrial ablation 5 years ago, I haven't had mood swings, although I have felt a bit down and a little bit sad every now an again, and I don't have hot flushes.

Did anyone else feel like this when they were diagnosed? I have to get another blood test in a months time just to be sure, but the doctor has said she is fairly sure with my hormone numbers that it will still show I'm going through menopause.

KatharineClifton Sat 31-Oct-15 15:05:58

You're lucky your GP 'allowed' this. Mine said I was too young and that was that. Idiot. Now you have access to HRT. should you need it, which is wonderful.

TheDoor1 Mon 02-Nov-15 17:10:46

Hi @Bluedolphin1971
I was told last week I am not peri-, not 'just starting', but 'deep into' the menopause... I'm 49 btw.
Like you I feel conflicted. I kind of knew my symptoms were IT -- evil bitch moods, crying, feeling hopeless, horrible hairloss (which is scary and sad), evil insomnia, anxiety, fuzzy thinking/forgetfulness, and lately the most hideous flushes which were making me feel like I wanted to die every time I could feel the volcano heat build.
I don't want more children. I know I am old enough for this life stage (although doc says I am young for it to be this advanced). But still a part of me is sad as I finally face the end of periods ... the ability to conceive ... or even see the door to old age opening ... It has made me a bit sad and thoughtful for who I am, what I've done with my life, and what might have been.
Good luck with your next blood test. I think we're entitled to feel tearful as we say goodbye to a large part of our lives as women.

Greengardenpixie Mon 02-Nov-15 19:10:48

I haven't been diagnosed but i have skipped a few periods, have hot flushes, moody so really think i am at least in peri-menopause. When i missed my first period, i felt sad. I have had all my children but what i found hard to come to terms with is the fact that this is it, and in a way it is about getting old sad I feel to some degree bereaved of my period. Its like a loss to me of something that i have had with me since being in my teens. I am 48 btw. Funnily enough, as i am experiencing this, my dd who is 9 is finding out about periods etc. its so odd. I am at the end and she will be at the beginning!

Ponytailandquiff Mon 02-Nov-15 19:17:18

I was also 44 when my periods stopped and the hot flushes kicked in. I did feel I was young but was more upset about the horrible symptoms. I asked for HRT straight away as I was having the flushes day and night and they were really unpleasant.

Several years on, it feels great to be free of periods.

PollyPerky Mon 02-Nov-15 20:00:59

flowers

Your GP isn't being quite right. We don't 'go through the menopause' - menopause is a permanent state once we've not had a period for 12 months. It's then known as post-menopause.
Peri-menopause is the time leading up to menopause. (Menopause actually means 'no more periods)

What I'm saying is you are either in peri menopause or you are post menopause. The transitional stage when we have irregular periods is the peri menopause.

Peri can last for 10 years - ie from 45-55 - so your dr is jumping the gun because one blood test is just a snapshot of your hormones on that day- next week your ovaries might wake up, chuck out an egg, and the results would be different.

If you are post menopause at 44 then your GP ought to tell you about HRT because this is medically recommended for women having an early menopause (under age 45) - average UK age is 52.

bigsnugglebunny Mon 02-Nov-15 20:33:02

I haven't been to the doctors yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm there too.

I've had two periods this year, one in March and one in June. (Last year I had maybe 4?) Hot flushes nightly, bad moods, spotty, hair is ridiculously greasy.

I was 37 in September. My mother tells me this is pretty normal in our family.

Greengardenpixie Mon 02-Nov-15 20:48:59

Oh yes and spotty. Not had spots on my forehead for years and years and then all of a sudden, i have developed a crop of them. As if wrinkles aren't bad enough! angry Its not fair <stamps foot>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now