Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Not sleeping well, don't feel safe to drive - how am I going to get through this?

(7 Posts)
Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:23:29

Hot flushes started in January. Went on HRT in March. By July it was causing me 2-3 migraines a day. Came off again - doc said too risky owing to link between migraine and stroke.

Hot flushes are now back. I haven't slept through the night for a fortnight and I'm cross-eyed with tiredness by the end of the day. I work 40 minutes away and some nights I'm not sure I'm safe to drive.

I started taking Menopace a week ago and I hope it works! I'm only 49 and so depressed by threads on here that suggest this could go on for decades!

I just want to give up work and be on holiday all the time. sad

pinkfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 12:50:49

What type of HRT were you on? Sequential or combined? Some women find that combined- taking progestogens daily - cause headaches. I wasn't able to use natural bio-identical progesterone for that reason and still use sequential, even though at my age and stage of meno most women are on combined.

Your dr ought to have offered you a different type of HRT.

If you were on pills, then change to patches or oestrogen gel.
Migraine is not a reason to avoid/ stop HRT (again, not my 'opinion' but medical advice.) It's a case of finding the right sort that suits you. Also, transdermal HRT ( patches and gel) is not linked to any increase in blood clots.

Go back to your GP, or see if there is a meno clinic at your local hospital. if your GP is useless, would you consider seeing a consultant for 1 appt then they would refer you back to your GP with advice on the prescription?

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:56:43

I was on Evorel Sequi patches.

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 12:57:40

At the moment, I'd do anything, pay anything to have this stop!

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 13:02:12

I see there is a Menopause clinic at my nearest hospital - strictly by referral only. I'll see my GP and see if I can get referred - can't go on like this!

I've seen a couple of GPs who seem to think my age is a barrier to needing help ie I'm too young. hmm Fuck that - I'm suffering here!

pinkfrocks Sat 12-Sep-15 13:59:24

A couple of thoughts- you might find this by the British Menopause Society reassuring...
www.thebms.org.uk/conference2010.php

It's a few years ago but about halfway down the page there is a paragraph o HRT and migraine. The dr recommends reduction of dose if it's migraine with aura or another route. YOu might find the oestrogen gel works well for you- which it does for me- because you can titrate the dose from 0.75mgs (one pump) to 4 pumps and anything in between. This means you can easily find the right dose to control symptoms - just use for a couple of weeks then decrease or increase.

Presumably, the headaches are daily- and not linked to just the oestrogen or the progestogen phase? The patch you were on uses norethisterone which is a bit of a bugger for some people - it's very effective but can cause more side effects than some others. Other patches like Femoston have a different type.

Definitely don't just put up with your symptoms.

I used to get migraines and find I have practically none on HRT as my hormones are obviously more stable than with normal pre-meno fluctuations.

Euphemia Sat 12-Sep-15 21:15:48

Thanks - that's useful x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now