Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

From sequi to conti HRT woes. AIBU to want to stop only 2weeks in?!

(5 Posts)
HappenstanceMarmite Thu 13-Aug-15 12:15:54

Aged 54 so GP suggested changing from Prempak C sequential HRT (with monthly bleed) to Kliovance continuous HRT (no bleed). Great! (I thought hmm) ...no more monthly draining pain and discomfort. So two weeks into Kliovance and I am hating how it makes me feel - constant PMS with usual bloating, food cravings and irrational moods. Accompanied by intermittent bleeding requiring sanitary protection at all times. This was NOT what I signed up for FFS!

So to my question - can I just switch back to my stash of Prempak C sequi halfway through the Kliovance regime? Or is that risky in some way? I am going on a long waited for holiday in two weeks - the same time the end of first Kliovance conti is due. I don't want my holiday marred by feeling as I do now.

Thoughts please? Thank you smile

pinkfrocks Thu 13-Aug-15 18:11:52

You should be able to switch back okay. But tell your GP next time you see them. More to the point, get off Prempak! It's an old type of HRT made from horses' urine. There are much newer and probably safer forms of HRT out there now which use oestrogen the same as your body - body/ bioidentical.

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 13-Aug-15 18:57:22

Thanks Pinkfrocks. I will be switching back tomorrow (if I haven't exploded beforehand!).

Yes I mean to look at alternatives - it's what I went to GP for in first place. Because I felt some old symptoms were breaking through, so wanted to look at dosage/other types etc. But then GP waved this non-bleed holy grail at me and I just grabbed it without knowing any more about it! But I'd rather have a monthly bleed than this constant PMS and annoying spotting.

I also posted this thread on MenopauseMatters where they seem helpful.

pinkfrocks Thu 13-Aug-15 20:43:18

Just picking up on a point you made on MM; there is no reason to come off HRT at 54 or any age. The new NICE guidelines (draft was published 1 June and are available online) and those from the British Menopause Society and the International Menopause Society say drs should not stop women having HRT because of some arbitrary figure; they should be advised of the small risks and allowed to continue as long as they wish. Unfortunately many drs are out of date and still stick to the 'lowest dose for least time' mantra.

HappenstanceMarmite Thu 13-Aug-15 21:48:27

Thanks pink. My old GP retired and this new one - lovely though she is - can be quite belligerent about stopping HRT by 60 max or if taken for ten years or more. I feel a battle ahead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now