Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Elleste duet conti

(5 Posts)
Flushingfloozie Tue 04-Aug-15 07:45:26

Hello ladies, I am new to the site but here goes! I am a young 52 but sadly am suffering with the old menopause symptoms. My GP has prescribed Elleste Duet Conti, but before steaming in I wonder if any of you have tried it and what are your experiences. It might help me decide what to do, I am suffering from the usual hot flushes, vaggi dryness, lack of sex drive but then after 27 years of the same 'ol I can live without that, but i used to be quite intelligent and now i dont know what the hell am I talking about!!! Is that because I have laid awake most of the night with my head being microwaved!
I wait with anticipation and hoping that some of you are going through the same as me (as we speak I am being boiled from the toes up!)

pinkfrocks Tue 04-Aug-15 08:08:38

Hard to answer really because we are all different.
I've used HRT for 7 years but don't take tablets- they are not the safest. Patches or gel have lower risk of blood clots. Many GPs reach for pills because pills are cheapest.

If you are given conti HRT that means you have been without a period for at least 12 months. Okay?

HRT is certainly effective in sorting out hot flushes and 'brain fog' but you might also need vaginal oestrogen cream to sort the dryness- lots of women use both.

If you don't get on with conti HRT you can use sequential- it's purely choice- you don't have to use conti just because you are post men. some women find taking a progestogen daily(as with conti) gives more side effects.

Flushingfloozie Tue 04-Aug-15 13:51:59

Thankyou pinkfrocks, I'm still a little undecided whether to start cos I don't want to have to go through the symptoms in years to come. But I've heard it helps with osteoporosis, so might cash in the prescription! See I'm indecisive too!!!

misscph1973 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:58:34

Get a copy of Sarah Gottfrieds The Hormone Cure. It's a relatively quick read, but it's serious, and the author is a doctor. Then you can make an informed choice and maybe even avoid HRT.

pinkfrocks Tue 04-Aug-15 15:08:15

I'd forget about it helping with osteoporosis. This is only relevant is a) you are at risk and have had a family history of it or b) have had a bone density scan that shows you are at risk. You need to take it for osteo under supervision with bone scans to see the effect and the jury is still out on whether you need to take it long term ( 10 years plus) to maintain the benefits.

Not sure what you mean about not wanting to go through the symptoms in years to come? HRT isn't a 'cure' for menopause. You might still have symptoms when (if) you stop using it, for a while.

Most women take it because they feel so bad they can't find anything else that helps. If you are managing ok then you don't need it. If your life is miserable and your work is suffering due to tiredness or flushes then maybe you need it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now