Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Constant metallic taste in my mouth- menopause related??

(7 Posts)
Draylon Mon 06-Jul-15 19:07:42

Over the past 6 months, it's been coming and going but now is quite constant, a tangy, metallic-y taste in my mouth.

I'm 52 and going through MP.

No idea what it could be but it's beginning to spoil my enjoyment of food.

Any ideas?

kateecass Mon 06-Jul-15 19:32:35

I have been browsing a few posts on this and the menopause matters forum today and I read a post about someone having a metallic taste in their mouth after taking something for hot flushes. Afraid I can't remember the exact details I'll have a quick google and see if it comes up.

Willdoitinaminute Mon 06-Jul-15 19:49:38

Metallic taste may indicate iron deficiency. Burning mouth syndrome is a recognised symptom of menopause though and may be another way of describing metallic/tangy feeling you describe.

Eliottsmam Tue 07-Jul-15 08:33:12

Hi Draylon I have had burning mouth syndrome for a good few years now. When it's really bad I can only describe it as how your mouth feels after you've eaten a hot curry or really salty food.

These two links may help you out.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/metallic-taste/Pages/Introduction.aspx

www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files%5C110407burningmouth.pdf

Draylon Tue 07-Jul-15 18:20:04

Thanks all- I can safely say it really isn't like a post-curry mouth; it's like, well, metal, but not iron (like if you bite your tongue). I am finding it comes on when I eat or drink something or anything, first morning cuppa, even, so I am thinking it's in my saliva but I can't localise which gland!

It's been suggested it's a tooth abscess but they hurt, this doesn't, although- I had half a filled tooth crumble a good 6 months ago, but we're not repairing as it isn't a pain issue, yet; and then terrible toothache 3 months ago which my dentist cannot specifically localise; xrays, the lot, but no suggestion of an abscess. One, of 3 possible fillings in the area removed and replaced, to no avail, but we decided that as that pain has receded to wait'n'see. So I'm not sure that my toothache isn't 'incidental' as I also can't be 100% sure the pain and the taste occurred simultaneously.

anythingforaquietnight Tue 07-Jul-15 18:23:52

Do you eat pine nuts? Sounds very much like pine nut mouth - yes its a thing pinenutsyndrome.wordpress.com/pinenutsyndrome/

Bellaciao Wed 08-Jul-15 17:55:20

Pine mouth! Yes I had it!
Very very strange metallic taste and brought on with certain foods and drinks. I seriously thought of going to the dentist because I thought something was wrong so had a google and that came up. Coincidentally I had started eating pine nuts on my cereal two weeks previously so I took the unopened packet back to H&B, stopped eating them and after a few days ( maybe a bit longer?) the taste went away never to return. I haven't looked at anything's link but I gather it's something to do with the exact species of tree they come from (in China) and some tend to cause this, and only in susceptible people ( genetically I presume - like tongue rolling!)

Nothing to do with menopause except for the avid nut eating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now