Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hot flushes - Black Cohosh?

(6 Posts)
iroblonegen Tue 23-Jun-15 14:14:22

I'm looking for some advice regarding hot flushes and I hope someone out there can help!

I am 44 and am currently on day 56 since my last period. It's been about a year since my periods have gone especially wonky and noticed last year that during the looooong cycles that I would get hot flushes. This is now happening again.

I wouldn't characterise them as being especially severe - more annoying. I feel hot (I may or may not get a bit sweaty) for a min or two, and they can happen every 45-60 mins. (I don't really get night sweats.)

I wouldn't say that they are severe or life-limiting enough to consider HRT but I have read about Black Cohosh and am wondering if I should give that a try.

My questions are:

1. as my HF aren't that bad, should I just put up with them or try BC?
2. if I try BC, what dosage is best?
3. I also currently take Agnus Castus - can I take both at the same time, or should it be one or the other?
4. Does BC actually DO anything?!

Is there anything else I haven't thought of?!

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can offer!

dementedma Mon 13-Jul-15 20:17:14

Watching with interest as the night sweats are destroying my life. Get them all through the night, and some hot flushes during the day. Am 51 with periods stopping and starting randomly. Very very heavy when they do appear, then STOL for a few months at which time the flushes are worse.

dementedma Mon 13-Jul-15 20:17:39

That should say stop, not STOL.

pinkfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 21:09:49

OP- the one thing you haven't considered is HRT which will sort all of this very quickly and safely.

At 44 you are having an early menopause- average age is 52. The general advice is that women of your age use HRT (pills, patches or gel) in order to prevent more serious diseases in your 50s and 60s- like osteoporosis and heart disease. The risks of HRT are non-existent up to the age of 52, and it gives more benefits than risks up to the age of 60, at least.

You really should go and discuss with your GP and hope they are well informed.

Demented - same advice as above. Unless there are strong medical reasons why you cannot use HRT then that is the answer.

dementedma Mon 13-Jul-15 21:27:40

Thanks pink. I have spoken to two GPs and one consultant about HRT and still feel confused. They keep giving me leaflets and saying I could have this one or that one or a combined one or a pink one or a blue one or. .....or......
I have done a lot of reading and speaking to friends but for everyone person who says HRT is wonderful, another says it is awful. So I don't know what to do for the best.

pinkfrocks Mon 13-Jul-15 21:40:22

I'd take a look at the Menopause Matters website too as it's a very active forum.

You can't go by what friends say- how you will react is unique to you. I've been on HRT for almost 7 years and it's fab and I feel great.

I don't take pills- I see a consultant and they prescribed oestrogen gel, and bio identical natural progesterone.

If you are still having periods and are only 51 then you will take a sort that is oestrogen for every day of the month and a progestogen for 10 days a month and that will give you a regular 'period' (like on the Pill.)

Woman who give up on HRT as usually not found the right sort for them- there are many kinds and it can sometimes take a few months to get it right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now