Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is this typical or should I be concerned?

(11 Posts)
32percentcharged Sun 21-Jun-15 20:04:07

Pinkfrock or anyone else ... I'm 53, still having periods. Regular as clockwork til about 3 years ago; since then not so regular, sometimes early sometimes late. Latest period started around beginning of This month- haven't recorded exact date. It never seemed to finish properly... I've had spotting of brown, old blood since then, but now another 'proper' period has started today. I thought something was up because I had the dragging feeling in my pelvis that I usually get when period starts. What's going on?

Weebirdie Sun 21-Jun-15 20:06:31

Only a Dr will be able to tell you that and I urge you to make an appt sooner rather than later lest you end up like me who worried herself sick for 5 years rather than go to the Dr because I was too afraid to.

blush

32percentcharged Sun 21-Jun-15 20:58:10

Oh yes I'll make an appt; was just wondering if other people have experienced this and whether its in the 'normal' range for menopause

32percentcharged Tue 30-Jun-15 19:43:20

Ok, so my period stopped normally and no spotting since so not worried about that.
BUT is it normal to feel so tired during the menopause? I feel achey and tired and OLD...

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Jun-15 20:02:35

spotting and irregular bleeding is 'normal' for meno BUT best ask your dr to have a check. Assume you are up to date with smears etc?

Have known some friends who had continuous spotting for ages and ages- were given the equivalent of the mini pill to control it.

Some people DO feel tired. I didn't myself, but everyone is different.

You might find later on that you get period pains even though no bleeding- like a 'phantom' period.

Drs tend to worry more about spotting etc if you have been period-free (over) for a year or more then some bleeding happens- and you'll be fast tracked for a scan within 2 weeks.

The old age and tiredness is down to falling oestrogen levels and ups and downs of hormones. Think about HRT maybe?

nigelslaterfan Tue 30-Jun-15 20:07:42

I thought HRT was out of fashion now? Is that not the case?

32percentcharged Tue 30-Jun-15 21:22:53

Thanks pinkfrocks. Not too concerned about the bleeding now because I'm 53 and my periods have been less regular anyway over the last 3 years... It was just a bit surprising to have another one so soon. More worried about my general malaise.. I just feel out of sorts, achey and old

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Jun-15 21:32:32

nigelslaterfan- the pendulum has swung the other way after the research from 2002 was discredited. The consensus is that for women under 60 who have no other risk factors, the benefits outweigh the risks. After age 60 is't equal benefit /risk with personal assessments and tailored treatment longer term.

If you want to read the latest then go to the NICE guidelines for drs, published 1 June this year. Large document but there is a summary version too- all on their website.

nigelslaterfan Wed 01-Jul-15 11:29:22

Thanks, so can you be perimenopausal and still having monthly periods or gushiods?

pinkfrocks Wed 01-Jul-15 12:27:25

Yes

nigelslaterfan Wed 01-Jul-15 14:25:36

and does a blood test indicate that one is perimenopausal or might be? I mean can they be certain?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now