Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is a GP appt wise?

(10 Posts)
Picachew Wed 17-Jun-15 09:38:46

Obviously I've never been menopausal before so no way of knowing what's normal and what's not so I wondered if I should make an appt with my GP. Im worried they'll think I'm a twit!

I have palpitations, anxiety, tired all the time, periods normal but the occasional one every two weeks. I get sudden feelings of being hot and clammy but not drippy/sweaty.

No doubt all normal but I guess an appointment will reassure.

Do people go to the GP for these reasons? My Mum and sister are useless in advising me.

Mimigolightly Wed 17-Jun-15 11:58:48

Yes - go to your GP, explain your symptoms and they should ask you to get a blood test to see what's happening and rule out any underlying conditions such as anaemia, thyroid, etc.

Good luck

Picachew Wed 17-Jun-15 12:41:19

Thank you mimi, I'll book an appointment with my GP. I rarely go to the doctors, I hate being a nuisance!

pinkfrocks Wed 17-Jun-15 16:27:26

See your GP but be forewarned that most know very little about menopause and less about HRT- you only have to read this forum and Menopause Matters to see the guff that many GPs churn out.

Your GP will not do blood tests for FSH (hormone levels) unless you are under 45- these are the new guidelines from NICE- see link in another thread about 20 down this page. Your GP may offer HRT. refuse HRT/ say it is too risky blah blah.

Inform yourself and have some idea of what outcome you want when you leave the surgery. A pat on the head and a 'it's your age dear' is not exactly going to make anything better.

Unless you have strong medical reasons not to, HRT is the way to go and there is another link here to a brilliant video on it by the International menopause Society- I think the subject line is BRILLIANT VIDEO.

Picachew Wed 17-Jun-15 16:45:25

Thanks pinkfrocks. Actually my outcome is reassurance that it is just my age! I can deal with that. What I'm seeking to do is rule out anything else I suppose. I don't just want to assume it's my age. I'm 51.

Picachew Thu 25-Jun-15 09:53:40

GP has called up a a fasting blood test and an ECG. She said the bloods would also tell where I am in the menopause and will check thyroid and anaemia.

She also booked me in for a double appt to discuss the results so that's good but I can't help but worry! She seemed keen to pin me down on the bleeding between 4 week periods asking if it was breakthrough or an actual period but as I explained I don't know the difference! She said to come back next week as she didn't want me to wait. That worried me even more!

pinkfrocks Thu 25-Jun-15 10:38:44

Drs are expected to investigate post menopausal bleeding - which means any bleeding that happens after your final period( classed as 12 months without a period.)

They are not always expected to investigate any 'odd' bleeding in peri as this is often par for the course.

Spotting mid cycle or mini periods outside of a normal cycle are 'normal' in peri meno though some drs will want to be very thorough and arrange for a scan or similar just to check. if your blood tests show you are post meno then yes, she will arrange for a scan and /or a biopsy. But be warned that one blood test is not definite either way- if she thinks it is, then she's wrong! The FSH test ought to be done on days 2-3 then again mid cycle. One test alone is not accurate. I know this from personal experience- my consultant did a blood test when I was 51-52 which showed I was post meno then we agreed it was rubbish because I still had periods for another 18 months- 2 years.

Try not to worry.

Picachew Thu 25-Jun-15 11:00:36

Thanks! Will try not to worry. smile

fab39 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:48:28

I was told I was menopausal and 1 year later I had a baby. I think they nee 2 blood tests to confirm.

fab39 Thu 30-Jul-15 16:49:40

O and now I have spotting but Gp doesn't seem worried.i imagine your gp is just being careful. Hope all is ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now