Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

HRT patches

(16 Posts)
makeminea6x Mon 15-Jun-15 09:23:18

I wonder if you have any tips about stopping HRT patches falling off? The woman in question is on a 7 day patch and finds they keep coming off every time she has a shower. Is there something she could do differently or is this a problem with specific patches that is best remedied by changing her to a different patch?
Thanks

pinkfrocks Mon 15-Jun-15 09:57:49

"The woman in question" ?

Is this you or your wife/ partner?

Might be helpful if they posted here so we could chat directly?

makeminea6x Mon 15-Jun-15 10:12:56

Patient. Don't want to put too much because of confidentiality. Seems less than ideal posting here, sorry, I feel like I should know the answers (GP registrar) but I can't find them anywhere and it seemed like something people who had actually used them would know best!

makeminea6x Mon 15-Jun-15 10:16:34

I do have her permission to write above though. It's a combined patch

DayLillie Mon 15-Jun-15 10:23:09

What I understand from reading around (no direct experience) is that the femseven ones are more likely to fall off, and that warming them on your skin for a while before attempting to put them on helps them stick better. I have even read of someone using a hair dryer to make sure it is stuck.

Kontiky Mon 15-Jun-15 11:34:03

I wear the Estradot patches. They're pretty good at staying on most of the time. The one time one fell off was when I had it too high on my hip and I think I caught it pulling my panties up/down.

I tend to warm a patch up before applying it, and make sure my hands are warm too as this seem to help it adhere. I also don't ever use any body lotions or talc on the area of abdomen where I wear my patches.

When showering I am careful to not rub over the patch with my hand or sponge etc. And afterwards I just gently pat the area dry with a towel and don't rub.

rogueantimatter Mon 15-Jun-15 11:39:02

Everol conti patches here. Twice weekly. Never come off.

PurpleWithRed Mon 15-Jun-15 11:40:07

Mine are Evorel and I have problems getting them off they stick so well!

rogueantimatter Mon 15-Jun-15 12:05:20

Yes. I'm covered in the gummy outlines of squares that I tool off ages ago!

makeminea6x Mon 15-Jun-15 14:15:33

This is all really helpful, thanks everyone.

PurpleWithRed Mon 15-Jun-15 15:17:34

Rogue, after much experimentation I have discovered that pre-wax oil wipes the gummy outlines off. Bio oil is not quite as good but will do in a pinch.

rogueantimatter Mon 15-Jun-15 16:34:01

Ooh - thank you for the tip. How nice of you to post.

cathcustard Mon 15-Jun-15 16:35:14

Femseven fell off me too, Sequi are fine.

Mimigolightly Mon 15-Jun-15 17:20:04

I too use Evorel and they stick really well although you only keep them on for 3.5 days rather than 7, like your patient.

I use baby oil on some cotton wool to get the gummy marks off afterwards.

fairbalance Mon 15-Jun-15 18:57:45

I have heard a hair dryer can help them stick. I refuse patches as I am not wearing adverting for a pharmaceutical company plus I like my privacy. I have Oestrogel and Ultrogestan (progesterone) both of which are bioidentical and fabulous. Oetsrogen gel is an alternative to patches. NHS cost is about the same

pinkfrocks Mon 15-Jun-15 19:54:31

Can I just correct you FB in case someone asks for the progesterone? It's Utrogestan ( no 'l' in it.) smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: