Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Alternative or complimentary therapies/ Vitamins/health shop stuff....

(11 Posts)
Eliza22 Thu 11-Jun-15 19:05:17

Am 53. Menopausal. Some flushing. No energy. Not a emit or "thyroidy". Can't have hrt due to high BP (medicated) and family history or heart/stroke disease. Non smoker, moderate alcohol. I take Vit B, Vit C, Omega caps.

Can anyone suggest any "natural" or supplement type of stuff I can buy that works for them. Menopace, Serenity Cream?

Thanks.

Eliza22 Thu 11-Jun-15 19:06:19

Not anaemic!!! smile

pinkfrocks Thu 11-Jun-15 21:56:32

Do not use serenity. It's not a regulated product despite what they makers claim. It's weak progesterone and your flushes are caused by low oestrogen.

If you have not already had expert advice, then get some! The latest NICE guidelines- linked to on another thread here- say that high BP is not a reason to avoid HRT, especially if it is controlled with meds. Are you also doing things like exercise and diet to try to control it more? Weight loss too?

Heart disease etc is only a considered risk if a close member of the family had it early in life- usually considered under 50 or 60. I'm only saying this in case you are 'assuming' or your GP is not up to date with the new guidance.

Menopace etc worth a try.

pinkfrocks Thu 11-Jun-15 22:01:34

Sorry - pressed too soon.

Please do ask for a proper assessment of your family history- if not already discussed. HRT taken within 10 years of meno actually protects against heart disease and stroke /clots are only an issue if they have happened to you.

Apologies if this has been discussed but many people make assumptions based on out of date information.

Just as an example, there is heart disease and stroke on my maternal side - my mum over 80 though and my gran /uncle at 50 and 60, father slight stroke at 85. This has never been an issue and I'm taking HRT under a consultant. If it was relevant I'd not be allowed to.

Other things like herbs etc might work but everyone is different. There is no one size fits all- it's a case of trying- and some results people have are pure placebo effect or symptoms coming to an end of their own accord, coincidentally.

pinkfrocks Fri 12-Jun-15 09:29:03

These are the relevant points from the NICE guidelines that refer to cardio and strokes/ high BP.

You will find this on pages 14-15 of the draft which is a few threads below on this forum.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 Long-term benefits and risks of hormone replacement therapy
26 Venous thromboembolism

27 1.4.1 Explain to women that:
DRAFT FOR CONSULTATION

Menopause: NICE guideline short version DRAFT (June 2015) Page 15 of 38
1  the risk of venous thromboembolism (VTE) associated with HRT
2 is greater for oral than transdermal preparations
3  the risk associated with transdermal HRT given at standard
4 therapeutic doses is no greater than baseline risk.
5 1.4.2 Consider transdermal rather than oral HRT for menopausal women
6 who are at increased risk of VTE, including those with a BMI over
7 30.

8 1.4.3 *Refer menopausal women at high risk of VTE (for example, those
9 with a strong family history of VTE or a hereditary thrombophilia) to
10 a haematologist for assessment before considering HRT*.

11 Cardiovascular disease
12 1.4.4 Ensure that menopausal women and healthcare professionals
13 involved in their care understand that HRT:
14  does not increase cardiovascular disease risk when started in
15 women aged under 60 years
16  does not affect the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease.

17 1.4.5 *Be aware that cardiovascular risk factors (for example
18 hypertension) do not automatically preclude a woman from taking
19 HRT but should be taken into account*
20 1.4.6 Using tables 1 and 2, explain to women that:
21  the baseline risk of coronary heart disease and stroke for women
22 around menopausal age varies from one woman to another
23 according to the presence of cardiovascular risk factors
24  HRT with oestrogen alone is associated with no, or reduced, risk
25 of coronary heart disease
26  HRT with oestrogen and progestogen is associated with little or
27 no increase in the risk of coronary heart disease

Eliza22 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:43:21

Thanks , that's all very helpful. My mum had 9 x by-pass grafts at 52 and dad had a stroke at 53. My sister had a series of mini strokes at 48 so, I guess the Dr is being cautious.

pinkfrocks Fri 12-Jun-15 19:52:23

I can understand that is very worrying for you.

The risk with transdermal HRT is very low and doesn't increase your risks. But your dr should refer you / do blood tests for your clotting factor - see info above.

I suppose it's also your own lifestyle that has some bearing too- exercise, non smoker, weight, diet etc- that may offset some of your genetic risk.
Did your parents have risk factors like smoking, weight, or sedentary lifestyles?

Eliza22 Sat 13-Jun-15 12:01:11

Dad a non smoker, active, physical job. But drank like a fish.

Mum, smoker and sedentary lifestyle.

I do the 30 mins daily exercising (20 mins brisk walk/10 mins running) or cycle 30 mins. Try to watch my diet but am a stone overweight at the moment. Non smoker, drink 2/3 times weekly. Am 53.

Will ask for a referral.

Thanks for taking the time pinfrocks!

pinkfrocks Sat 13-Jun-15 12:57:17

I think that would be a good move. Not being unkind but a huge number of people could have those diseases your parents had if they didn't take care of their health. My uncle who died at 52 from heart attack was a smoker and had high BP and did no exercise at all. My gran who had a heart attack at 60 was very overweight and sedentary. You may be slightly more at risk but as heart disease etc is the No 1 killer in the UK most people have someone in their family who is / was affected and lots of it is preventable through lifestyle.

paxtecum Sat 13-Jun-15 13:02:45

Try phyto soya by Arkopharma. Boots do three for the price of two.

Also try the Menapace.

Eliza22 Sat 13-Jun-15 22:10:34

Thanks ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now