Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

If you're not having periods, how can you tell if you've passed the menopause?

(4 Posts)
TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 06-Jun-15 19:30:06

Peri-menopausal, HRT and Mirena, therefore virtually no periods. Have gone as long as 6m without any sort of period, not even spotting.

If I dont know whether I have had my last period, how will I know whether any spotting is a period or something abnormal? Presumably any post-meno spotting needs checking out.

pinkfrocks Sun 07-Jun-15 09:51:53

you won't is the short answer. But as the Mirena makes the lining thin it's highly unlikely that any bleeding is from cancer which tends to evolve - I understand- from hyperplasia. This is a question for your dr who prescribes both the coil and HRT. If you are worried then they may arrange a scan.

LifeHuh Sun 07-Jun-15 22:17:17

A blood test can show your hormone levels and thus whether you are post- menopausal . I am on Tamoxifen and haven 't had a period for years, have had regular blood tests to see if I've made it to menopause though !
In your case I think I'd go to your doctor if you have any odd symptoms, then they can test if they think it's necessary to know.

pinkfrocks Sun 07-Jun-15 22:37:37

The thing is though that a blood test if someone is using HRT will not give a reading of their own hormones. The OP would have to stop the oestrogen and remove the coil and give it a few months to clear from her system before having a blood test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now