Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I'm thinking of stopping my hrt. How long before I get menopause symptons do you think?

(6 Posts)
Cocolepew Thu 14-May-15 15:00:15

I'm on estrogen only patches, I had a total hysterectomy a few years ago. I was supposed to stay on it until I was 51, for my bones. I'm 46 now.
Has anyone else did this?

MyCatIsAGit Thu 14-May-15 15:25:21

I hope you don't mind my asking but just out of curiosity, why do you want to stop? I mean, if is to replace the oestrogen to help your bones why stop?

Cocolepew Thu 14-May-15 16:31:53

I have Lupus and I read estrogen can aggrevate it. I was peri menopausal from aged 35, so had started hot flushes, etc all ready.
The patches have started to aggrevate the site where I put them, the Lupus makes me highly allergic.
If I feel crap I can go back on them grin

PoshPenny Sat 16-May-15 14:15:20

What about the oestrogen gel instead? I have that because i had reactions to nicotine patches, I didn't want to risk going through that again. I've had no problems at all, maybe you would be the same? What about reducing your dose to see if you can find a balance by cutting your patch in half?

Cocolepew Sat 16-May-15 16:10:49

Ive gone into a massive flare so a lot of good stopping it did me hmmgrin

I've changed the site from my bum to my thighs, I've put one back on this afternoon blush.

pinkfrocks Sun 17-May-15 14:45:42

If you are reacting to the patches - the adhesive- then it would make sense to swap to gel.
You don't want to stop your HRT before 52 at the earliest if you can possibly continue with it due to a higher risk of osteoporosis and heart disease from an early menopause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now