Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Consulting a menopause clinic rather than GP

(4 Posts)
Silvercatowner Mon 11-May-15 07:43:33

I'd be grateful for perspectives. My GP is 'distant', it is a bit like trying to book an appointment with a deity, and I think he'd really like to tell me 'it's my age dear' (he doesn't because he probably knows violence may ensue....). I'd like some more targeted advice and would be happy (ish) to pay for it.

pinkfrocks Mon 11-May-15 09:06:24

Most menopause clinics are part of the NHS- I think you have to be referred by GP. I think our friend google brings up a nationwide list. I've heard mixed things about menopause clinics, because at the end of the day they are staffed by NHS drs and nurses and some don't like to prescribe things off licence which an independent consultant would. I've heard of one person treated at an NHS meno clinic (via another forum) who was having problems getting back on HRT over age 60, whereas other women who see private consultants have no such problems.

One of the best NHS ones is the Chelsea and Westminster (LOndon) led by consultant Nick Panay.

You can of course see a gynaecologist specialising in menopause of your own choice, privately, and some accept patients without a referral.

pinkfrocks Mon 11-May-15 09:26:58

Silver- the website Menopause Matters has a list under Specialists - top of the page- but it is a mix of NHS clinics and private consultants and not all private consultants are listed.

Silvercatowner Tue 12-May-15 10:36:18

Thanks - I think I do want to go private for this. I'm struggling with my GP due to lack of his time and availability.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now