Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Bleeding: Day 23

(19 Posts)
FrancesNiadova Sun 03-May-15 10:23:35

I'm 47 & still, "on," after 23 days. I've been prescribed tranexamic acid & taken 2 this morning.
I've had tests done & I do have some fibroids, but nothing major & nothing nasty.
I can't have anything hormonal because I've had breast cancer.
My Dr & the consultant keep suggesting an endometrial ablation, but in 3 years I've had 7 major operations: mastectomy was 9 hours, ankle fusion 5. I've had lymph node removal operation, ankle surgery, ankle arthroscopy, deep ankle injection under anaesthetic,breast reconstruction surgery. I don't want any more surgery. I just don't think that I can go through it again.
Any ideas of how to stop the bleeding, please

Weebirdie Sun 03-May-15 10:25:40

A mirena coil.

Weebirdie Sun 03-May-15 10:26:25

Im sorry about my suggestion.

I misread what you said about not being able to have anything hormonal.

My apologies.

FrancesNiadova Sun 03-May-15 10:34:36

It's OK birdie, the gynaecologist suggested mirena & said that it wouldn't affect the BC. My oncologist said, "No way," so I'll go with her opinion, as she's done the decent thing & saved my life once already! Interesting that the 2 consultants didn't agree though!

pinkfrocks Sun 03-May-15 12:53:44

I think the ablation - apart from the GA- is a day case, so it may not be too bad.

Interesting about the differing expert opinions! The Mirena is a type of synthetic progestogen . These are not good news re. breast cancer when used to oestrogen in HRT, but the argument would be the progestogen ought to only be in your uterus and not circulating generally.

Sorry you have been through so much. flowers I think I'd seek a 3rd opinion and see what the vote is overall!

FrancesNiadova Sun 03-May-15 14:23:10

That's what the GP said, that for the amount of surgery, the benefits are very good. I just don't think that I could go through any more. It's the whole thing, I can smell the anaesthetic just thinking about it, even when they put it into your hand.
No, even writing g this I'm getting into a tiswas just thinking about it!

pinkfrocks Sun 03-May-15 15:30:58

But if it's bothering you so much, surely you could put up with the op which would be all over in half a day?

FrancesNiadova Sun 03-May-15 17:40:38

I just don't think that I could do the whole going into hospital thing again. I need 12 months without surgery, just to come round really.

pinkfrocks Sun 03-May-15 19:35:21

I'm sorry. Don't think there are any other options. The treatments are either hormonal, mechanical ( coil) or surgery (hysterectomy.)
If you can afford some complementary treatments then acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (herbs and acupuncture) might help but you'd need someone really good in view of your medical history.

FrancesNiadova Tue 05-May-15 22:59:40

I took 6 tranexamic acid yesterday, I've felt awful today & I'm still going. I'll have to go back to the Drs, I just hate going!
Thanks for all of your advice -x-

pinkfrocks Wed 06-May-15 08:57:38

sorry you feel so rotten- let us know what's decided. flowers

FrancesNiadova Tue 09-Jun-15 21:26:59

Is there any way to speed up the menopause?
I can't take any hormonal treatment in any way, & the only options are yet MORE surgery or carry on the same. (I'm bleeding again, 2nd since my 26day period in April-May.)
Does anyone know of any other option than surgery, please!

pinkfrocks Wed 10-Jun-15 12:40:25

some people think that TCM- traditional chinese medicine- has some success- herbs and acupuncture for gynae issues.

You would need to find an expert in this and it would probably mean London and be quite expensive.

Is that an option?

FrancesNiadova Thu 11-Jun-15 07:52:04

No, London's miles away. It just seems to be surgery or nothing.

Bellaciao Sun 14-Jun-15 20:40:21

FrancesNiadova

In your position I would definitely have an ablation if this has been recommended - since it is a mechanical procedure and very minor, and does not involve any further tablets/hormones etc.

keepmoving Sun 14-Jun-15 20:54:54

OP is this the first time you've had a long bleed? I ask because I had a 6 week bleed a year or so ago. It wasn't too heavy, most days light period, some days spotting but still some blood everyday. I had tests and same as you some fibroids but nothing sinister and then it just stopped! I then went about 4 months without a period and then they started again, back to light periods that lasted 3-4 days. They have been a bit hit and miss over the last few months (some months nothing) but I have never had a long bleed since. Dr said just one of those things but suggested a coil if it happened again! I don't take HRT or have a coil etc.

Baddz Sun 14-Jun-15 21:00:32

I would suggest having the ablation. It's a day case procedure, home the same day.
You could ask for a sedative prior to anaesthetic?
hope things calm down soon x

FrancesNiadova Sun 14-Jun-15 23:14:36

I regularly have long bleeds, I think that I'm just going to have to keep taking the tranexamic acid & iron supplements. I'm on day 8 now! i just wish I had shares in a ST company

pinkfrocks Mon 15-Jun-15 08:10:24

why won't you consider an ablation? An hour or so to sort it all and all done! The other way to look at it is to think well, I've had so much done, this is just one more tiny thing to give me quality of life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now