Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Cutting down HRT experiences please!

(5 Posts)
Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 18-Jan-15 15:04:21

I've been using Evorel 50 patches for some time now and thought I'd try reducing it to 25. After four weeks I feel terrible. My legs feel heavy, I've had a heavy period after not having one for some time, and I'm dragging myself around with fatigue.
I've gone back up to my 50 patch. Has anyone had any similar experiences?
I'm 48 and feel I need to be off HRT by the time I'm 50....

pinkfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 16:29:28

Can I ask why you 'have to be off HRT by 50'?
If your dr is telling you this then they are mistaken. There is no age limit to how long HRT can be taken now- the International and British menopause Societies have said recently that each woman's risk/ benefits should be considered on an individual basis.

Many w men- me included- don't start using HRT until well into our 50s anyway- 52 is the age of the average menopause.

In terms of risk, then the risks as such don't actually start until after the age of the average menopause because until then you'd have that level of hormones anyway.

Does this help you at all?

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Sun 18-Jan-15 17:07:32

I was under that impression from my GP. Will go and see her about it, but feel that it's really helped me so much I'm reluctant to stop altogether.

Is there any limit to the length of time you can be on HRT for?

PurpleWithRed Sun 18-Jan-15 17:12:20

My GP is perfectly happy for me to be on HRT at 56 and to be on it for up to 10 years I think.

pinkfrocks Sun 18-Jan-15 18:10:26

There IS no limit. Have a look at the BMS site and read the latest press releases/ news.
I know women in their 70s who have been on it for 30 years.
If you want to carry on then you are allowed to as long as the dr has told you of the risks and you say you accept them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now