Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

So when am I ovulating?

(11 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Wed 07-Jan-15 16:29:05

I have always had a very short cycle of about 24/25 days but now it seems to be shortening to anything from 18 days to 22 days.
I bleed for about 7 days so when am I likely to be ovulating?

pinkfrocks Wed 07-Jan-15 18:51:53

why do you need to know?

Chavaloy Wed 07-Jan-15 19:22:55

You ovulate 14-16 days before your next period (this in theory doesn't change). So if your cycle is 24/25 days you are most likely ovulating on or around Day 9-11 (if your cycle were shorter, you could be ovulating even earlier). It makes no difference how long your period lasts for. Do you check your discharge (sorry if too much info!)? Discharge will be clear and very stretchy just before/during ovulation (helps those sperm get where they are supposed to go). In theory, if you try, you can stretch the discharge a good few inches between your fingers. Then you'll know. I also had short cycles, and found I was ovulating around day 8/9. I also used to get a pain when ovulating (known as mid-cycle pain or mittelschmerz). I spent a long time trying to get pregnant (hence all the facts)!

Andcake Wed 07-Jan-15 21:29:01

I'd just buy a load of cheapy opk from Amazon and also learn how to spot egg white cervical mucus. It can be hard to get pregnant with a short cycle - and stay pregnant hmm
I did conceive ds by lengthening my cycle with 50 mg of b6 grin but it hasn't worked a 2nd time and I think as soon as I stopped bf I went straight into proper menopause - a period every 4-6 monthshmm

pinkfrocks Thu 08-Jan-15 08:44:58

14 days before a period is the rule for fertile women but as you approach the menopause it can be different. The 2nd half of the cycle- the progesterone phase - can become shorter, hence a shorter cycle. Taking your temp and looking for other signs is probably more accurate than working it out by days.

DuelingFanjo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:36:05

I would like to know for contraceptive reasons really.

I am not on the pill but I am 45 in April and had to have IVF to have my son five years ago.

Although I would have liked to have more children I don't think having one now would be a good thing. My period used to be every 24/25 days but now my cycle seems to be getting shorter and shorter.

I am aware of all the EWCM stuff, sorry for not giving more info in my first post.

I have never had a 14 day lIrelan phase, it was 9 days when I was charting. I never managed to get pregnant naturally and scans/tests suggested one ovary was not working well.

From what Chavaloy said I would be ovulating almost as soon as I stop bleeding? I think his is unlikely given that I always had a short literal phase.

I don't want to go back on the pill, don't want the coil but do wNt to improve my sex life so am a bit scared I could get pregnant though obviously the chances are slim, I am just a bit wary of stuff I have heard about there being an increased chance of getting pregnant when you get to the point where your body starts getting rid of e eggs as you approach menopause.

DuelingFanjo Thu 08-Jan-15 23:37:03

For irelan read 'luteal'

pinkfrocks Fri 09-Jan-15 08:36:10

You're right in one thing: your body may well go into overdrive to produce those remaining eggs as you approach menopause. This is why women in peri have high FSH levels as their bodies try to counteract ovarian shut-down.
Maybe re-think your contraceptive choices? Mini pill, combined pill- all suitable. Diaphram?
It's not a good idea to use the 'safe period' - DD was conceived very early on in my then regular 30 day cycle. We DTD once on day 9 about 3 days after bleeding had stopped. I now have a child in their 20s! We were thinking of having another child but as DS took 8 months to conceive it was a surprise ( but a welcome one.) The other point to consider is that sperm can live for up to 7 days.

DuelingFanjo Fri 09-Jan-15 09:59:49

Oh bollox!

DH and I very rarely have sex and I think we would both be happier if we did, although bleeding every three weeks means we don't get much of a window of opportunity as I am either bleeding, raging or sleeping.

My sister recently got the coil but I am just a bit unsure about it. I am a non-smoker (But ex-smoker) so maybe they would give me the mini-pill?

To be honest I am loathe to go on any kind of hormonal contraceptive so I guess Condoms might be the only thing.

Do you think my 'lazy' Ovary has woken up in panic? I am used to having short cycles but 18 days is ridiculous; I really can't wait until they start to lengthen, assuming they do as you move into full menopause?

pinkfrocks Fri 09-Jan-15 12:58:39

You can have the mini pill right up to menopause. You can also have the combined pill up to menopause if you are healthy and don't smoke.

If you don't want hormones have you thought about the cap / diaphram? Can be a bit of a fiddle but is roughly as reliable as condoms.

pinkfrocks Fri 09-Jan-15 12:59:58

Missed your final point. Your cycles may or may not lengthen. Mine didn't except right at the end aged almost 54. Mine got shorter to around 17-21 days then I had a couple of months with none, then back to normal 28 days then a gap of 4 months and that was it more or less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now