Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Forgetfullness

(11 Posts)
whatithink Fri 05-Dec-14 10:02:58

Am 49 so think I must definitely be peri-menopausal, although the main symptoms are extreme tiredness and forgetfulness. The family can laugh off all the daft things I do in the house, but it is causing me problems at work and I am making mistakes. I only do an admin job so thankfully no dire consequences, but just wondered how others cope ?

MyLittleFinger Fri 05-Dec-14 20:22:00

The fatigue got me I was unable to do anything really, along with so many other symptoms I spoke to the Dr who prescribed HRT I was like a new woman soon after.

Maybe have a chat with your GP. Have you got headaches, erratic periods, joint pain etc?

GreenShadow Wed 10-Dec-14 18:24:31

I hate the forgetfulness.
I can think of something one minute then a second later, I can't think what it was.

I also find it so much harder to read and take in complicated (or even not that complicated) papers.

wizzler Wed 10-Dec-14 18:27:41

Me too... I am also 49.. and keep forgetting words..... relieved I am not the only one...

pinkfrocks Wed 10-Dec-14 19:27:49

It's common but it's also really important to make lifestyle changes. Exercise- like brisk daily walking for 45 mins- is known to help brain function and delay ageing. So is using your brain and doing things that push you a bit- like crosswords, learning a language, a free online course of some kind, and yes- oestrogen does seem to ward off dementia according to some studies.

Marmitelover55 Fri 12-Dec-14 11:46:49

Hello - just been told over the phone that fsh test indicates menopause sad My periods have got lighter and shorter and my memory is rubbish. I'm still a bit shocked its the menopause though shock Am seeing doc after Christmas.

whatithink Fri 12-Dec-14 14:57:21

Agree Pinkfrocks, but bit of a catch 22. I was a SAHM and was studying with the OU during the daytime and managing to fit in exercise. However, just over a year ago had to return to work for financial reasons so now don't have time for exercise/study during the day and am just too tired in the evenings. Have put on over a stone in weight as a result.

2plus1 Fri 12-Dec-14 16:26:49

My memory is rubbish and feel like my brain is operating in the fog! My fsh was 27 and LH 44 but am only on supplements. GP will do more bloods in the new year. Does HRT help with memory and foggy brain at all?

pinkfrocks Fri 12-Dec-14 18:58:44

I think it's a bit of an excuse to say that working full time means you can't exercise smile
Lots of people work full time and train for marathons! I know someone who commutes and works in the city but still runs 50 miles a week.

If you force yourself to do something 3 x a week - gym, dance, DVD at home, swimming.....you will find your energy levels improve rather than you feeling tired all the time.

meglet Mon 15-Dec-14 16:55:12

whatithink I'm struggling at work too. I daren't step outside of my comfort zone because I can't recall anything these days. I've left the car in places, can't remember names, write shopping lists and come home minus the shopping I needed because I forget I wrote the list hmm.

2plus1 the fog is horrible isn't it. It makes me feel very vulnerable.

Guiltypleasures001 Tue 30-Dec-14 21:58:59

Oh thank heavens I'm not the only one, it's like give us a clue in this house. I walk around in a fog, have to describe things because I forget the word. My son thinks it's so funny, I have periods with a mind of their own, and now my arthritis the one that is immune System based see forget the word, is now raging and I have nodes on my fingers.

Bloody hell if I was a horse ide be a Pritt stick by now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now