Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Hair loss the menopause and HRT

(4 Posts)
Walksfromroomtoroom Wed 19-Nov-14 07:45:50

I have started to notice that my hair is getting much thinner and am very worried. I have tried Clonidine for hot flushes which works during the day not so much at night but they make me so tired I can hardly stay awake during the day.

Does HRT help stop hair loss?

pinkfrocks Wed 19-Nov-14 11:36:34

Wondering why you have been prescribed Clonidine for menopausal problems- it's mainly used to high blood pressure.

Did your dr explain why they were offering you this instead of HRT?

How old are you and what stage of meno are you at?

Hair loss post meno is something that happens to some women and yes, HRT may help prevent this though it's not something you'd be given JUST for hair loss. But if you are having flushes, are under 60 and in good health generally then there is no reason why you shouldn't have HRT.

Walksfromroomtoroom Wed 19-Nov-14 21:33:50

I am 50 just get hot sweats during the night and hot flushes during the day. My BP was 138/80 so I was persuaded to have Clonidine instead of HRT. Clonidine was a trial and if it did not work then I would be allowed HRT. However, that GP is on a longish holiday so now the new GP says that I have to have a BP check before I can go on HRT. I get white coat high BP so now think I will never be allowed it. The Clonidine makes me so tired I can hardly stay awake at work and the night sweats have come back...

pinkfrocks Thu 20-Nov-14 13:22:35

Do you have a history of high BP- and were you given advice about how to lower it through lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise?

If you get 'white coat' high BP then many surgeries will lend you a BP monitor so you can take your BP at home for a couple of weeks. Have you asked about this?

138/80 is high but the lower number is the most important so if yours would be normally say 120/80 then that would be considered ok.

Having said that, high BP is not a contraindication for HRT. Your GP ought to know that. High BP ought to be managed anyway, but it's not a reason not to take HRT. If there were a risk it would be with clots and transdermal HRT such as patches or gel get round this anyway.

Have a read up on all of this then you can go along for your appt knowing what to ask for and hopefully get some better treatment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now