Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How will I know if I'm hitting the menopause - I'm 49 - since I'm on the pill and never have periods?

(11 Posts)
AJ65 Mon 10-Nov-14 16:01:50

I did talk to my doctor about it a couple of years ago and she suggested taking myself off the pill for a few months to see what happens, but I was just about to get married so I didn't want to and I'm not sure how informative that would be anyway as my periods were always madly irregular (anything from a 2 week gap to a 3 month gap naturally).

But now I'm wondering. What would happen if I just kept on taking the pill?

DayLillie Mon 10-Nov-14 16:47:46

Is it a combined or progestogen only pill?

AnotherFurry Mon 10-Nov-14 16:52:06

OP I have no idea and am in the same boat so will be hoping someone has some answers. However, I am having a lot of symptoms which suggest being perimenopausal so maybe I am not that far off.

AMumInScotland Mon 10-Nov-14 16:55:36

Same here. So far I haven't actually asked the GP (will try to remember when I'm next in for more Pills) but I think the usual advice is that you can come off the pill for a while and have hormone tests, which may or may not tell you anything helpful.

My current plan is to stay on the Pill for as long as the GP will let me, at least until past 50 so that I'd only have to go 1 year without a period instead of 2 before I could stop having to worry about it.

CatelynStark Mon 10-Nov-14 16:57:29

I'm in the same situation. My practice nurse recently told me that the only way to know was the come off the pill - I then wondered why I felt the need to know IYKWIM. I'm having a few weird symptoms but nothing too alarming so was quite relieved when she said I could stay on Cerazette for a while and then we could talk about HRT if necessary.

All very low key - but I'm still bracing myself for potential onslaught ahead!

CatelynStark Mon 10-Nov-14 16:59:03

Oh and I'm 50 in January so apparently I'll have to come off the pill sooner rather than later.

DayLillie Mon 10-Nov-14 17:03:41

I had to come off COC at 49 and thought I had had a lot of menopausal-like changes. However, I had 5 months with nothing then followed by 3 weekly periods. Two years later, I am still having frequent bleeding and am taking hrt (for other reasons) which has helped with that problem. COC are only licensed up to 50, anyway.

People on pop can continue taking them until they are 55 and no longer require contraception. If you have menopausal symptoms, you can take hrt as well. You only need to stop taking them if you want a blood test (FSH) done, but these tests are not reliable anyway, so it might not be worth it.

AJ65 Tue 11-Nov-14 11:29:48

Thanks everyone.

I'm on Cerazette and have had no menopausal symptoms that I'm aware of so I guess I can just carry on taking it until the GP says to stop or anything changes. I don't really want to come off the pill as our sex life is quiet enough as it is without adding the complications of alternative contraception!

DayLillie Tue 11-Nov-14 13:15:11

I did find, coming off coc, that I suddenly discovered libido. grin Didn't last, though and contraception is a headache sad

AJ65 Tue 11-Nov-14 14:57:59

Hi DayLillie - I'm sure you're right about libido, but alternative contraception is just too much for us. He won't contemplate the cap after a bad (blister in an unfortunate place) experience, we both loathe condoms, and I can't have a coil after my body rejected the last attempt (also caused hideously long and painful periods so I wasn't unhappy when it just came out)... So, it's the pill or nothing!

itwillgetbettersoon Tue 11-Nov-14 19:41:04

I'm in same position. Nearly 50 on the mini pill. No symptoms excepts couple of really hot occasions in bed. I've used condoms for years and have recently gone on the pill as I'm sick to death of condoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now