Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Elleste solo and cerazette

(9 Posts)
Loopyloopyloulou Thu 30-Oct-14 14:09:32

Hi, I'm new today, hoping someone has some sound advice! 50 years old and peri menopausal. Having hot flushes, aches and pains, migraines, you name it also have history of vertigo ( rotational spinning - you can't even sit up!)
which has become mush worse and more often during the last year. Tried all kinds of vitamins, flaxseed etc finally got prescription of elleste solo 40mcg and Cerazette. Has anyone had this combination, want to know what to expect before I take the plunge. Hoping this will be my saviour as have many bad days and am elated when I have a almost normal day. Please tell me I'm not alone!

DayLillie Mon 10-Nov-14 17:12:42

Some people occasionally have this combination.

Cerazette is a contraceptive (POP) and pop are not supposed to be sufficient to give enough progesterone to protect the uterus from hyperplasia. However, as it is a higher dose than usual pop, there does seem to be some evidence that it might be, but it is not licensed for that purpose. Maybe your doctor thinks it is ok.

Usually, people have uterogeston (a bio-identical progestogen) or mirena coil (also acts as contraceptive) for the progestogen part of their hrt when they have separate oestrogen.

Or they have a packet of pills with the two hormones combined.

Loopyloopyloulou Mon 10-Nov-14 20:29:16

Thanks for that info, I didn't realise that this was the case. I am going back to GP on Friday so will bring this up? I don't really want to be on it at all but especially don't want to take something that's not doing the job.. Tried Mirena before without much success, it was supposed to help reduce awful periods but was intermittent. I would be pleased to hear from anyone else on HRT as don't know anyone personally who is on it and am rather nervous.

DayLillie Tue 11-Nov-14 13:25:06

It is quite possible that cerazette is doing the job - it is just not licensed officially to do it. It is a more modern progestogen than the one in Mirena and less likely to make you spotty and irritable. Also, it is free as it is a contraceptive. It would be interesting to talk to your doctor about it.

I am on Femoston 1/10 which is double the prescription charge, because it contains 2 different sorts of pill. angry

FuckyNell Tue 11-Nov-14 13:30:03

Have you not had a period for over a year? I only ask because the solo elleste is for post menopause and elleste duet is for peri.

So you still have periods on duet but not solo.

Sorry if you know that already smile

DayLillie Tue 11-Nov-14 13:38:14

You have got them muddled. Solo is just oestrogen. Elleste Duet Conti is continuous, for post meno.

It is very confusing www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

FuckyNell Tue 11-Nov-14 13:48:15

Ooohhh yes.

what a minefield blush

DayLillie Tue 11-Nov-14 14:48:28

Blame it on the meno-brain wink

wobbleinprogress Tue 11-Nov-14 15:15:30

I went on Cezarette because I was suffering from migraines in the gap with the normal pill. Since taking it I realise I was also suffering from peri menopause symptoms too, heart palpitations, pins and needles aching joints as well as the migraines. Since taking it I feel great, have had none of the other symptoms. So accidently for me, Cezarette on it's own has sorted out the peri menopause symptoms, so I would say give it a try. And no periods too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now