Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.


(5 Posts)
FunkyBoldRibena Thu 27-Mar-14 23:22:27

So I am 46 and have not had a period for at least 2 years nor any signs of any periods in any way. Before then, I was having one every 3-6 months for about 3 years.

At the weekend, I caught a bug, sore throat etc...and on Monday was coughing and had a days work planned...Monday is usually my day off.

As a prevention against any cough induced 'leaks', which I don't ever have but I felt so rough I thought it might occur as the coughs are pretty violent at the minute, I used an Always pad just for the day.

And I am now having a small period.

Do these pads stimulate some sort of blood loss? What the hell???

JeanSeberg Fri 28-Mar-14 06:20:04

Probably nothing to worry about but worth getting it checked out.

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 28-Mar-14 06:45:23

Get it checked out? When I went to the doctor pre menopause and my periods were intermittent and I was getting hot flushes she said they weren't going to test me to see if it was the menopause as I was only just 42 and that was too young. If I went to them with this they would probably fall about in fits of laughter.

My concern is the pads being the they out something in them that can bring on periods?

1966gettingold Fri 28-Mar-14 11:23:34

Not the pads no. If you have not had a period for two years and you start bleeding, it must always be investigated by a gynae. You may have a fibroid/ polyp that the coughing has caused to bleed, whatever the reason it needs to be investigated, and don't let your gp fob you off.

gottodosomething Fri 28-Mar-14 17:42:35

Your doctor is a disgrace. At 42, with intermittent periods and hot flushes you should definitely have been checked for hormone levels and offered hrt if necessary to lessen the chances of osteoporosis etc.

The pads are not a trigger, absolutely not. You need to get this checked out in case it's something that needs treatment like Funky said - a fibroid or something.

And you should be discussing hrt with your doctor since it is now recommended for anyone who goes through the menopause before 50 to maintain heart and bone health, amongst other things.

Please ask to see a different doctor since yours appears so out of date.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: