Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

blood test

(8 Posts)
ADifferentKindOfMum Fri 14-Mar-14 16:06:45

Hallo...
I have missed 3 periods for no apparent reason. Blood/hormone levels are completely normal. Definately not pregnant. I'm 41. Don't have any pmt, period cramping, ovulation signs, spotting..nothing. Since early December!
I haven't had any stress or upset either. It isn't PCOS. Only thing vaguely odd is a tiny pain on one side, that interestingly I reported to my old g.p. back in 2004! She said it was a tiny cyst and I've had 2 kids since. That exact same pain has been back since yesterday. Could it be the same cyst again and is that really enough to stop menstruation? I also have a bit of urinary stuff, in that when I go, it feels like I never actually finish a wee and I have to really concentrate to get the last bits out! Sorry...tmi!!!
Any advice v welcome!

jaffacakesallround Sat 15-Mar-14 17:01:35

Blood tests in peri are worse then useless because your hormones fluctuate daily. You need at least 2 tests in one cycle and then repeated if you are still having peri symptoms.

A tiny cyst will not give symptoms or stop ovulation. I had 1 for 2 years which was monitored- a scan ( private) every 4 months just to keep an eye on it as I was post meno.

The pain is more likely to be ovulation.

The weeing- could you have a slight bladder prolapse? This can cause the delay you mention as the angle of the bladder changes and it's harder for wee to come out.

A fall in your hormones could have exacerbated this a bit.

I'd go back to your GP and ask for a gynae referral because if you are having a premature menopause you need HRT up to the age of 50.

ADifferentKindOfMum Sun 16-Mar-14 18:48:36

Thank you so much for replying to me. Really decent of you.
Am awaiting a scan booking. The only thing my bloods showed was a low creatine level...and the locum gp told me to drink more water (I already measure out 2L/day!).
I also said I have a bit of bloating (today its a colicky pain) and she waved a hand and said "the food you eat".
Menopause isn't something I'm afraid of..I just want to know what I'm dealing with really.
I should also mention I take 20mg of Fluoxetine but I've never had menstrual issues with that before.

cherrytree63 Mon 17-Mar-14 18:34:13

I had what I thought was ovulation pain for around a year, just a sharp twinge, but it got so severe one month that I ended up in a & e with a suspected ruptured ovarian cyst. It turned out to be diverticular disease which can have very similar symptoms.
That was two years ago, and funnily enough I was being monitored last year after a flare up of diverticulitis, and it was discovered that I had developed two large cysts and I've just had my ovaries removed.

ADifferentKindOfMum Tue 18-Mar-14 17:51:41

cherrytree sounds really unpleasant...good they found those cysts..sorry about your diverticulitis.
I've had a letter from g.p today. They want to discuss results as the U & E was raised (kidney function stuff). Still not heard anything about a potential scan though, and still no period, though my breasts hurt a

ADifferentKindOfMum Tue 18-Mar-14 17:53:36

..bit.
I just find the lack of menstruation utterly weird. I've had some really stressful and dark times in the last 15 years and never ever missed a month. A few late days maybe but it justdoesn't make sense!

ADifferentKindOfMum Fri 21-Mar-14 16:31:32

I've had two spaced out hormone tests and both levels are normal.

I've now got a problem with my vision. Since Tuesday my vision is very blurred with close things (uncomfortably so) and I feel dizzy..a bit like vertigo. The vision stuff us a really marked difference. Unsettling.
scan is booked for 8th April and

ADifferentKindOfMum Fri 21-Mar-14 16:32:10

Arggh damn phone!!!

Really hoping someone can come along and tell me they've had anything similar?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now