Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anxiety

(8 Posts)
Luckytwo Sat 01-Mar-14 23:31:01

I am suffering dreadful anxiety.
I can't take anything that would make me not be able to drive or function as I gave a family of 6 and (just about) hold down a decent job with stresses attached.Does anyone know if a gp could prescribe something that would help .
Thanks

lovelymumof4 Sun 02-Mar-14 08:14:43

Yes, Prozac(Fluoxetine). It works very effectively at treating anxiety and panic disorder and it doesn't make you feel drowsy or unable to function. I took it a few years ago when my four children were all under 6 years old and i managed ok. Anxiety is just awful isn't it.

Lauren83 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:40:17

I'm in early menopause and went on Buspirone, its an anti anxiety rather then an anti D, its helped me a lot and I feel no side effects from it x

Luckytwo Sun 02-Mar-14 22:28:38

Thanks lovely mum and Lauren. I will have a look at both medicines. I am not depressed just worried all the time and it is making me feel very down.
Anxiety is horrible !

Monissa84 Mon 03-Mar-14 00:44:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Xoticdreamz Mon 03-Mar-14 00:46:38

I am in a similar position , it seems either fluoxetine or citalopram are helpful .

Lauren83 Mon 03-Mar-14 08:20:54

I have had citalopram before and it didn't agree with me, I felt crap for the first few weeks on it and crap coming off it, I hear loads of good things about it though, I had specifically said I didn't want an Anti D as starting ivf again soon so wanted something short term, menopause wasn't a slow process for me I went bang in it really quick. (I'm 30) so need a short term fix and he suggested the Buspirone, I was paranoid, jumpy, terrible in the car kept thinking cars were going to hit me when they were nowhere near I was a nervous wreck! X

Luckytwo Mon 03-Mar-14 22:34:24

Ok thanks so I guess indeed to talk to my gp and get something prescribed. It's good to hear that you can function while on anti Ds. I am surprised though that anxiety and depression really treated the same, it's interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now