Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can you get pregnant while on HRT ?

(5 Posts)
lovelymumof4 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:03:28

I'm almost 39 and have been told i'm borderline menopausal. Have been trying to conceive for a long time with no success. My doctor has recently prescribed me HRT as i have quite afew menopausal symptoms. I realise it will be unlikely but my goal is to conceive and i was wondering if maybe HRT could help me out with this since it replaces estrogen and should bring my periods back on track. It's Prempak C by the way. Thanks in advance.

lovelymumof4 Sat 01-Mar-14 21:52:41

Has this happened to anyone, or do you know of anyone ? I read of a lady in the States who had Premature ovarian failure and she was treated with HRT and got pregnant.

FuckyNell Sat 01-Mar-14 22:45:12

Hi lovely I found this for you.

It certainly seems possible!

Good luck.

jaffacakesallround Sun 02-Mar-14 12:22:28

You can get pregnant when on HRT but oestrogen via HRT won't make you ovulate- same principle as if older women took HRT- it wouldn't prolong their fertility by making them ovulate. Fertility is controlled by many factors- the pituitary gland and your supply of eggs, and HRT won't make any difference to those.

Sorry- this is maybe not what you want to hear- but your own cycle can override HRT so you might still become PG anyway!

Good luck smile

lovelymumof4 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:10:30

Thanks FuckNell, reading that has given me some hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now