Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Day 10 of heavy period...getting worse...I'm usually 5 days and regular as clockwork... .

(7 Posts)
CheeryCherry Sat 08-Feb-14 04:46:10

That's it really. It started 10 days early, after years of regularity. Steady for a few days, now really heavy with flooding. Have booked an appointment with gp for Tuesday. But what could it be? Have googled but not getting clear answers. Got to drive 2 hrs to family party today, dreading it!

CheeryCherry Sat 08-Feb-14 04:47:00

Posted here as not sure where to post it. I'm 44.

MrsAMerrick Sat 08-Feb-14 11:20:54

My periods started to get really heavy when I was 42, they had always been heavy but they became horrendous. And went from being 5 days to being about 8 or 9 days long --until damn GP insisted on me having a Mirena and then they went on for 16days a month--shock

The first time I had a flood I went straight to the GP surgery because I honestly thought I was haemorrarging (sp??). The lovely nurse there said it was perfectly normal !!

From threads on MN you will realise that lots of women start having horrendous periods in their 40s, for various reasons, and what works for one wonan doesn't necessarily sort out someone else.

In my case the cause is fibroids so I will be having surgery shortly. For some people the Mirena works brilliantly, for others its ablation.

This might be a one off, but if it happens again next month then go and see your GP.

Good luck for today.

CheeryCherry Sat 08-Feb-14 23:53:00

MrsAM thank you for your reply, I think its just such a shock after normal 5 day periods. This is day 11 now, I was up 5 times last night with a super tampon and pad soaked. Feel like I'm bleeding to death!As I said I made a gp appointment for Tuesday, no idea how it will go. Fed up, and in all honesty, I'm worried now.

CheeryCherry Sun 09-Feb-14 19:01:35

Its now day 12 and I'm still bleeding a lot. How can this be normal?

10152530 Wed 12-Feb-14 02:01:50

Could it be you started the cycle of Menopause...!!!!

CheeryCherry Sat 15-Feb-14 07:54:33

I don't know? I didn't know a 2 week period was part of the deal! I think I have a lot to learn! Thankfully it stopped after 14 days of heavy heavy bleeding. Not fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now