Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

In Praise of HRT :)

(13 Posts)
willyhaschips Tue 04-Feb-14 09:58:01

I have had a horrible menopause experience. Looking back I believe I started the perimenopause around 6 or 7 years ago with disruption of the menstrual cycle, culminating in an endometrial ablation for uncontrollable menstrual bleeding around a year ago. Alongside symptoms of 'brain fog' terrible anaemia, weight gain, depression, loss of libido, vaginal atrophy, incontinence and insomnia (not to mention feelinglike I had the skeleton of a ninety year old) I began to feel like my life was effectively over sad
I have been taking HRT for the last four months along with topical oestrogen for the atrophy and I can honestly say that I feel like a different person. I started on Elleste Duet 1mg and had a small improvement in symptoms but after a bit of research decided to ask my gp for Femoston in an increased dose. Wow! within a couple of days of starting these I felt tons better. After two months of these I can honestly say that I feel like my old self again.
I needed to lose about two and a half stone in weight but it was a vicious circle of needing to lose weight to feel better but unable to get motivated to do it due to depression etc.
The HRT has given me the kickstart and I gave up alcohol for the month of January and got back on the paleo diet (with which I have had previous great success). I lost 12 lbs in the month and my hair and skin feel and look amazing. My energy levels have gone back to something like the old me too.
I have taken up pilates and have found the stretching and building up of core strength has already had an effect after two months. My aches and pains are almost disappeared!
I am aware that HRT has its drawbacks but I feel that I made an informed decision and have taken back control of my body and health. There is far more that a person can do to avoid breast cancer, strokes etc than avoid taking HRT in my opinion. (It's only my opinion).

FuckyNell Wed 05-Feb-14 22:27:39

That's great news! I'm really glad it's working for you smile

itwillbebetter Thu 06-Feb-14 11:44:55

Can I ask what swayed you in favour of Femoston? Only I have symptoms like you (am currently on oestrogel) and am feeling no better. I do wonder whether I need to change too.

It's nice to hear of someone getting their life back, I fear I will never get back to the old me sad

willyhaschips Thu 06-Feb-14 16:01:53

What pointed me to Femoston was reading about other peoples experience with it. That and not having a very good experience of progesterones such as norethisterone. I can tell when I am taking the progesterone fortnight on Femoston but not nearly as much as when on Elleste. Research told me that the form of progesterone in Femoston was generally the best tolerated. Hope this helps!

willyhaschips Thu 06-Feb-14 16:08:17

What pointed me to Femoston was reading about other peoples experience with it. That and not having a very good experience of progesterones such as norethisterone. I can tell when I am taking the progesterone fortnight on Femoston but not nearly as much as when on Elleste. Research told me that the form of progesterone in Femoston was generally the best tolerated. Hope this helps! And don't give up...the old you is in there somewhere!!

mkmjimmy Fri 07-Feb-14 11:40:50

Hiya

I too have to praise HRT. Very similar to OP started perimenopause about 7 years ago and had no idea what had hit me. Got very depressed, very low, very angry (really ragey) and no energy at all due to iron loss from bleeding a little but continuously and then flooding (only once - but oh, my God!).

Now on Qlaira, HRT contraceptive which is working really well for me - sleeping better, periods are barely there, night sweats reduced from 3 week out of 4 to 2 nights round about the time of my barely there periods. I'm running again, I'm brighter, skin is better and the 'rage' has gone. You'd have to prise HRT out of my cold dead hands. And the best bit - although I may have to thank the recent BBC Sherlock for this a little bit - libido back...oh yes....

willyhaschips Fri 07-Feb-14 20:23:10

Ha ha forgot to mention the return of the libido smile

orangina Fri 07-Feb-14 21:18:39

Marking my place..... this is all sounding horribly familiar....!

Quick question for you all.... did you have your hormone levels checked (bloods) and did they reveal anything useful? I only ask, as mine have been done and they are "within the normal range".... which strikes me as being not very useful, as there is no record of what MY normal levels are.....

Love the idea of ditching the fortnightly periods, periods of rage, brain fog, aching joints, 4am wake-ups and seemingly endless thrush.....

(sobs)

orangina Fri 07-Feb-14 21:18:54

And GOD, a libido would be marvellous!

mkmjimmy Sat 08-Feb-14 06:09:10

I did have tests though we knew it wouldn't tell dr anything. Iron level tests more useful in my case. I'd got v anaemic. Dr said if you've got sweats, rage etc etc it's peri menopause. Here's HRT pros and cons and you aren't in a risk group. So tried it and almost immediately felt better. Had to try a couple to get one that worked best for me. It's taken a year and change of pills to start feeling like me again. But it is great.

fidelma Fri 14-Feb-14 06:53:36

I haven't started HRT yet but feel so bad I am tempted to steal someone's!
Night sweats before or around period, crawly skin, anxiety, headaches, tingling, feelings if doom and gloom. My life fells hard.
Looking forward to setting my GP on Tuesday.

fidelma Fri 14-Feb-14 06:54:56

Joint pain!

fidelma Fri 21-Feb-14 22:10:39

And big fingers on my phone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now