Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

anyone NOT gained weight with HRT?

(7 Posts)
Nancy66 Tue 04-Feb-14 09:29:55

It's an option I'm considering but the idea of weight gain doesn't appeal.

I think I must be 'peri' as I still have periods but am getting increasingly worse hot flushes and my skin is like a 15 year olds.

I gained a lot of weight when I had steroid treatment for an illness which I found very hard to shift in my 40s and I really don't want to balloon again.

Are you more likely to gain than not does anyone know?

willyhaschips Tue 04-Feb-14 09:32:40

I haven't gained any weight on HRT but then I have combined it with a radical overhaul of my lifestyle...which was long overdue but I didn't have the will or wherewithall before HRT...due to symptoms of the menopause!!
Feeling FAB now smile

Nancy66 Tue 04-Feb-14 09:39:56

Thanks Willy. that's good to know.

Fed up feeling like a human furnace and having bad skin. Thankfully acne is on my back - better than face I suppose - but would still rather than none!

Elliptic5 Tue 04-Feb-14 09:40:20

Initially on HRT gained about 2kg, which I then lost without even trying within 6 months. However other problems, including a ovarian cyst removal, meant I was given Mirena plus elleste solo HRT to stop my periods; absolutely no weight gain with these at all.
Think it's certainly worth a try Nancy.

Nancy66 Tue 04-Feb-14 09:41:37

thanks Elliptic.

Anyone know what's with the 'bio identical' HRT you can get privately. Supposedly bespoke HRT? Is it actually different to what I'd get on NHS?

josephinebornapart Sun 09-Feb-14 19:15:31

Yes me. Been in it for 5 years and same weight as when I was 21- under 8 st.

Bioidentical HRT is available on the NHS - it's the sort that is NOT made from mares' urine- conjugated equine oestrogens- so that means most sorts that do not start with the name Pre- as in Premarin.

You can get bioidentical oestrogen as patches and gels.

Bioidentical progesterone is marketed under the name Utrogestan.

fidelma Fri 14-Feb-14 06:57:33

Is bio identical HRT better for you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now