Talk

Advanced search

Anybody using Vagifem pessaries ?

(6 Posts)
erilou38 Mon 18-Nov-13 16:28:01

I'm 38 and have been told that i am likely perimenopausal. My doctor prescribed me Vagifem pessaries about a month ago because of my dryness. I find they have helped but i'm only meant to use them twice a week. Now i seem to be drying out every day so is it ok to use them on a daily basis ? Also, is it normal to be this dry at my age ?

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Mon 18-Nov-13 17:42:47

The instructions on my prescription say 'one or two twice weekly' so I use them more than twice a week.

They were available in 25mg, rather than just 10mg but these were discontinued recently by the manufacturer after a study of 160 women concluded that 10 mg worked (but not that they worked as well as 25 mg.........) Many people just end up using more.

Did you do the 14 days of using them every day first? This is necessary as the dose is so small. I don't know if you need to 'reboot' regularly or not - there is not much information out there.

Anyway, they help which is good.

Missbopeep Mon 18-Nov-13 18:31:54

Just to agree- you need to have done the every day for 2 weeks first then tail off to twice week.

You can use it more but some drs might ask why you need a repeat prescription so soon and some drs are a bit iffy about using it more often- there is a very small link to increased uterine lining but this is debated and some drs think there is no risk anyway. Some drs will only 'allow' women to use it short term for 2 years for the same reason- they can't agree on it!

erilou38 Tue 19-Nov-13 16:06:58

I didn't use it every day for the first 2 weeks as it was printed on the packet that i just should use twice weekly. As long as it doesn't cause any harm i will use them as and when i need to from now on.

Missbopeep Tue 19-Nov-13 20:55:31

You should still use it as instructed but for 2 weeks first, every day. This is known as 'loading'! It brings the vagina up to its optimal state ( what a nice thought!) then the twice weekly is a top up.
It's thought that less hormone is absorbed into your system after those first two weeks because further use is coating the walls only once they have been fully 'plumped'.

I suspect the pharmacist just abbreviated the instructions and the full instructions are on a leaflet in the box.

If you are needing to use them so much then it does seem more than likely you are prem meno so I'd go down that route and consider full HRT-see the Daisy network again!

Gemmsb Sun 10-Nov-19 15:51:20

I am using Vagifem and it has been fantastic for UTI stopped taking Vagifem and the UTIs came back . Is it ok to use Vagifem once a week

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »