Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Horribly red and sore skin on my face - nothing seems to soothe it

(14 Posts)
AppleSnow Sat 16-Nov-13 16:02:56

Since last February the skin on my face has been sore and stinging and it looks red and coarse. I had used L'Oreal products for years without any problems and had clear skin with few spots. I've been to the doctor twice and he's prescribed Metrogel (for rosacea) and steroids (in case it wasn't rosacea) - neither helped. He suggested I try different products until I find one that suits - not easy in such an overcrowded market.

I've tried Aveeno, Simple, Epaderm, La Roche Posay, organic jojoba oil, E45 (very bad reaction) and now Dermalogica Ultra Calming range. Nothing is really soothing it.

My scalp is also intermittently itchy and sore (probably not helped by hair dying) but I'm very grey underneath and am not sure I'm quite ready to give up the brown hair.

I'm not sure where to go next - back to the doctor to get a referral to a dermatologist or is it my diet? Overheated office/home? I'm peri-menopausal which is why I'm posting here.

I feel very fed up and self-conscious.

jalopy Sat 16-Nov-13 17:46:08

Do you think it might be seborrhoeic dermatitis? That often affects the face and scalp. Worth asking the GP again.

jalopy Sat 16-Nov-13 17:47:19

Forgot to add, it might be worth trying Nizoral shampoo for your itchy scalp. HTH

Missbopeep Sat 16-Nov-13 19:35:09

It sounds like classic eczema.

It's very poor for your GP to fob you off and tell you to buy products hmm just because he's drawn a blank!

You need a referral to a dermatologist- so ask for that!

Did he give you weak hydrocortisone? Sometimes even the bulking agents in steroid creams can make eczema sore.

Go back and be assertive, and ask for a referral to an expert.

BIWI Sat 16-Nov-13 19:36:51

What is your diet like? Do you eat a lot of carbs/sugar? How much water do you drink? And do you take any supplements?

AppleSnow Sun 17-Nov-13 18:12:29

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I'm going back to see the doctor on Friday so I will ask for a referral.

I don't take any supplements, have a healthy diet but I know I don't drink enough water.

Thanks again.

Missbopeep Sun 17-Nov-13 20:31:10

Have you tried the Eucerin range? Developed for eczema..available at Boots.

EldritchCleavage Sun 17-Nov-13 20:37:28

Cetraben moisturiser is a very nice, mild one to try. The doc suggested it for DD (2) when her face went red and scaly. It is very nice. Aderma and Avene are also good.

AppleSnow Mon 18-Nov-13 19:59:35

Thankyou - I'll have a look at both of those.

LadyStark Mon 18-Nov-13 20:04:58

I find aloe Vera gel good and healing for my eczema, as well as 8 hour cream on any really sore patches.

Tried all the prescribed creams under the sun and doublebase is the only one I can tolerate but even that isn't great.

valiumredhead Wed 20-Nov-13 11:10:32

I have suddenly got very flaky and sand papery too OP and like you have tried everything! After a huge reaction to aveene I discovered a cream called aleergenics which is only about a fiver and it's truly a miracle in a tubegrin

Wrt hair, try Loreal anti dandruff in the dark blue bottle with an orange lid from boots.

Hope this helpssmile

BIWI Wed 20-Nov-13 16:46:05

It often happens in winter - the heating goes on, and the air dries out. Drinking more water can definitely help with that

AppleSnow Fri 22-Nov-13 14:16:49

Thanks again - I will definitely try some of your suggestions and start drinking more water.

fidelma Wed 12-Feb-14 08:35:12

I have this to now that I am perimenapausal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now