Talk

Advanced search

What is the difference between perimenopause and the menopause? How do you avoid weight gain? Does the menopause magnet work? And ye gods, tell us how to get a good night's sleep! Luckily Gransnet has put together the most useful tips for navigating those muddy menopausal waters. Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Anyone had success with natural remedies for menopause symptoms?

(6 Posts)
sweetfluffybunnies Sun 07-Jul-13 08:17:49

Over the last few weeks I've started having some symptoms, mainly hot flushes and insomnia. I can cope with these at the moment, but what I can't deal with is the mood swings.

I've always been prone to quite severe hormonal mood swings, and it seems really bad at the moment. It takes very little to set me off, and then I can't stop crying, and the feelings of anxiety are quite crippling at times.

I don't want to use HRT, so I have been searching the Internet for unbiased information about herbal remedies. It's not easy to find! So I was wondering whether any of you wise MNers had any experience you could share about herbal remedies for treating menopause, particularly mood swings.

Thank you for any help you can offersmile

missbopeep Sun 07-Jul-13 08:39:32

I think you'll have problems with an answer to this simply because everyone reacts differently to supplements!

I'd recommend a book- Your Change Your Choice by M Dooley ( who happens to be my gynae!) and it's 50% info on HRT and 50% on complementary treatment- includes, yoga, acupuncture, herbs, supplements, diet, exercise etc.

All the research shows that nothing works as well as HRT and some of the herbs such as black gohosh have serious side effects in some people and there is also a question mark over breast safety with some herbs.

sweetfluffybunnies Sun 07-Jul-13 23:26:43

Thanks for replying miss. I'm not keen on HRT because of a family history of breast cancer, so I'm hoping to get through the menopause using natural remedies and lifestyle only. I'll read the book you recommend and see if that sheds any light on the matter.

Laverne196 Sat 03-Feb-18 21:49:46

Can any one recommend s good all round vitamin or alternative remedy for hot flushes please. I have found if I have one glass of red wine I overheat

Belonger Wed 07-Feb-18 16:34:31

I've had success with a medical herbalist making a prescription for me, it tastes disgusting but worth it because it's got rid of all my limb pain - had really painful arms and legs for months and months, was really affecting my mood. The 'magic potion' has completely changed that, such a relief.

Blobby10 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:30:24

My mum swears her 'easy' menopause was down to her making changes to her diet. Can't remember the exact details but she cut out meat and dairy from her diet (switched to soya or almond milk) and cut down on sugary stuff and caffeine. Apparently women in the Far East (or maybe just Japan!) dont even have a word for menopause as their diet means no symptoms.

Not sure I can bear to cut out my morning coffee(s) though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: