Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Losing a lot of hair, help!!

(6 Posts)
cocolepew Tue 28-May-13 18:15:49

Is anyone else suffering this? Am I right in presuming it could be due to lack of estrogen?
I'm on hrt but I'm waiting for a gynae apointment for unexplained bleeding and I have vaginal atrophy.
My gp wont up my hrt until I have been seen at the hospital. Can anyone recommend anything to help before I'm totally bald shock.

cocolepew Tue 28-May-13 19:18:37

baldy bump

bella65 Tue 28-May-13 22:01:09

oh dear sad
Some people find that one hormone in combined HRT- the progestin norethisterone-can cause hair loss. Is this part of your HRT?

Maybe your HRT needs changing for another type- norethisterone is a testosterone based hormone so it can give some women 'male' symptoms such as hair loss or even more hair where you don't want it.

Have you been offered topical HRT for the atrophy- Vagifem or Ovestin- up to a quarter of women on HRT need this an an extra- and it's not absorbed so should be safe.

What kind of HRT are you on and how long have you been on it?

cocolepew Tue 28-May-13 22:13:52

I'm on Evorel patches, just under a year. I don't have ovaries so its estrogen only.
Ihgaven't been offered anything yet. I have something at the top of my vagina,and I'm waiting for a hospital appointment to get it investigated. My GP doesn't want to change anything until I've been seen.
I had a hysterectomy last August and a friend,says that this is also a side effect of the anesthetic?

bella65 Tue 28-May-13 22:25:21

I don't know anything about the anaesthetic- sorry.

What dose patches are you on? If it's a low dose then the odds are it's not enough.

You could try Regain for women- it does work but it's not cheap and you have to keep using it. There are lots of other reasons for hair loss- anemia and poor nutrition- might be worth trying to see a trichologist if you don't get any success elsewhere.

cocolepew Tue 28-May-13 22:29:16

I can go up a dose on my patches, but only after the hospital.
Just freaking out a bit grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now