Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Suddenly irregular periods

(7 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Sat 26-Jan-13 10:11:48

I've always had relatively regular periods. Well, I say that - I had years on the combined pill then I stopped taking it, met my husband and I've been having children and breastfeeding since 2005. So maybe I don't know what my cycle is really like - though it had always seemed to be around the 28 (give or take a few) days area.

A while ago I had a period with a two week gap - but I put it down to being a bit stressed with building work, rushing around with the kids a funeral etc - and I forgot about it as things seemed back to normal.

Well, this morning, after 16 days, I got my period again. I'm just wondering if this is a symptom of hormonal changes and I wondered if anyone could give me any advice?

I'm 39.

Thanks in advance.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Sat 26-Jan-13 10:13:30

And I've recently been having palpitations - I've had an ecg but nothing showed up but GP put it down to coffee over-consumption. I have reduced my coffee intake and I have had fewer.

Jemma1111 Sat 26-Jan-13 10:16:18

Its probably nothing to worry about although I would still get the Doctor to check it out especially if you have been regular and now its changed.

meditrina Sat 26-Jan-13 10:24:12

It could be the menopause, you are rather young for that. It could be a benign, treatable condition like a cervical polyp or endometriosis. You should go to the GP and get a gynae once over - some of which can be done by GP or they might refer you to a hospital gynae clinic (eg for scan for fibroids).

withaspongeandarustyspanner Sat 26-Jan-13 11:09:42

Am I best to go to a GP or a Nurse Practioner in the first instance? Our nurses are sometimes (or they feel to me, at least) more thorough, sympathetic, clued-up, and, more importantly, willing to listen.

Jemma1111 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:47:17

Go to the Gp instead

Missbopeep Sat 26-Jan-13 14:12:29

GP you need blood tests.

You could be having an early meno- it can take years from these symptoms to the final period but you need to get checked because you are young. Don't be fobbed off with 1 blood test- they should do 2- one on day 3 of your cycle and the 2nd after day 14.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now