Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

so, at what point do I stop panicking about late periods...

(3 Posts)
hophophippidtyhop Mon 01-Oct-12 12:21:38

I'm 40, and for the last 3 times, my period had been a week later than it's always been. Just started thinking, "ok, so every five weeks then" and I'm now 3 days over that. I've no idea how to go about it, do i just sit back and wait for it to turn up, or does anyone know where I can get a job lot of cheap tests! I have no other symptons. We have been using condoms, and no leaks as far as we're aware, and v careful when using them. Asked my mum, and it seems that her, her sisters and my nan started in their early forties, so possibility of being perimenopausal high.

Bellaciao Mon 01-Oct-12 20:55:21

Don't worry about it if you are sure you can't be pregnant. The ovaries sometimes have a late surge before they start packing up hence lots of unexpected babies from women in early 40's thinking they were past being fertile.

Pregnancy tests? Well maybe - but if you have been pregnant before I expect you will know anyway....

No need for any tests re menopause - just hopefully you won't get any troublesome symptoms for a while. Sounds like you might be a candidate for an early one too though, on family history.

If you do go into early meno be sure to take HRT until at least the average age of meno (early 50's) to replace the oestrogen you would normally have. This is to protect your bones. Hopefully not just yet....

hophophippidtyhop Tue 02-Oct-12 09:51:48

Thanks for that, it turned up yesterday in the end. Just initially sets me into a panic, as each time I have been pregnant, I'm one of those absolutly no symptons people! Think I have some reading up to do. Thanks for the advice about HRT -didn't know it was more to do with protection regarding lack of oestrogen at early age.
I know it takes a while and this is maybe just one very early stage. It has taken me by surprise though, I only stopped bf dd2 in march, and my periods didn't return til may. So I had 2 1/2 years without because of pregnancy/bf, one on time one, then this! Taking a bit of thought to get my head round the idea it may be happening already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now