Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

is this peri-menopause?

(12 Posts)
ProfessorSunny Tue 31-Jul-12 09:29:49

Achy muscles when it's my period (in my legs, bizarre!)
Hot and sweaty
Stomach cramps
Backache
In the couple of days before my period, feeling nauseous and having reflux - I don't get it any other time
More tearful and emotional when it's my period
They aren't especially heavy - they were a couple of years ago so I got mirena which worked for a while but then stopped to work so I had it take out, since then they have been pretty much normal and are regular as clockwork. First day is light, second day is heavy, third day is light and then it stops.
I'm 45.
Thanks.

Ameliagrey Thu 02-Aug-12 20:41:39

Didn't want you to go unasnwered.

It just sounds TBH like an increase in PMT symptoms which can happen as you go into peri.

Not everyone has these.

stevienicks Fri 03-Aug-12 09:24:03

Professorsunny, its exactly the same symptoms I get pre period. Also periods are the same really heavy day 2 then goes at about day 4-5 then stops. I really think I am peri now.

Toot Thu 23-Aug-12 13:27:37

I'm 44. Periods been getting heavier for last few years, especially on day 2 or 3 but gone by 4/5 as stevienicks describes (and I'm a bit cranky just before them) but am currently having second period this month. This is the first time this has happened. My last expected period was at the start of the month and that was 34 days after the previous one (normally 28 days).This one has arrived after just 13 days!

Not sure if I should go to doctor? 44 puts me in the 'zone' for menopause so concerned will just be sent away as timewaster. Don't feel ill just pissed off I'm having another period.

Before you start your periods everyone wants to thrust info leaflets/advice at you. As an older person approaching menopause, I wish it was a subject spoken about more freely (as on M.N).

Bellaciao Thu 23-Aug-12 17:33:07

Hi Toot

"As an older person approaching menopause".....???!!

At 44 you are quite young to be approaching menopause but as you say you are definitely within the range.

I understand why you are feeling pissed off! I presume you want to go to the doctor because you are having another period so soon? Unfortunately this is one of the symptoms of the peri-menopause - ie irregular periods - from either a lengthening or shortening cycle. It's probably good though to check out unexplained bleeding although this is more significant post-menopause. Also for most of us we wish we still had periods because when we still had them we did not experience the symptoms of menopause. which can be debilitating.

Also blood tests at this stage are pretty unreliable in determining where a woman is peri-menopausal too.

I agree with your comment re menopause being hush-hush. None of us want to admit we are past it, and sadly that is down to the cultural expectations of women to be for ever youthful, beautiful and sexy!

Using HRT when the time comes can at least prevent the worst ravages of oestrogen deficiency.

If you look on this website there is a huge amount of information on the menopause and HRT:

www.menopausematters.co.uk/

Also there is a small but very friendly forum for women needing support going through the menopause, as well some interesting commnets about the politics of menopause. You probably don't need this yet but here's the link just in case!

menopausesupport.proboards.com/index.cgi

Hope this helps!

Toot Wed 29-Aug-12 13:08:39

That does help Bellaciao - thanks.

By older I just meant not a 12 year old girl. That was the age when just about everyone (teachers, school nurse, my mum and my friends) tried to give me info re:Periods. grin

9 days into this period now and am still bleeding! It gets less and less but still there. Have been rushed off feet this week as we live in Scotland so my sons have just gone back to school/scouts/music lessons etc and didn't get a chance to read your kind reply before now.

Think I will make an appointment with practice nurse or doctor as , even when in my 20s or 30s I never had a period that lasted longer than 7 days.

Thanks for the links smile

tan3517 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:16:45

Hi
I have no idea on this but thought I would ask your advice.

I am 41 1/2. I have noticed recently that my periods have become heavier on the first two days of my period but have only lasted 4 days, which practically nothing for the 4th day. Previously I used to last about 5 days and had no pain but now I experience stomach cramps to begin with as I did when I was a teenager.

I have also noticed a week to two weeks before my period I suffer with painful breasts, normally in my left one. I have tried to feel for any abnormalities but havent noticed anything different. Just painful when pushed in, and a dull ache which is just irratating.

Another thing I have noticed is all of a sudden I will get this wave of heat fill me. It may only last for a few minutes. I would ask other people if they are warm and they look at me like ive lost the plot. This doesnt last for very long but at times feels like my head has been stuck in a fire - however I dont get any visable sweats.

I know you cant answer this medically, but does anybody think this is the start of the menopause??

I would appreciate any advise you can give me please as I am so concerned about the breast issue. I am just hoping it is all hormonal.

Many thanks

tan x

ijustwanttobeme Sun 28-Oct-12 18:24:00

Am 45 and what usually was 4-5 days of light bleeding has changed.

I now get 2/3 days of heavy (bl

ijustwanttobeme Sun 28-Oct-12 18:25:01

Oops sorry :

Blood clots that require super tam

ijustwanttobeme Sun 28-Oct-12 18:35:00

Fucking hell, will try once more!

Basically my once light 4/5 days max , have turned into a super heavy ( clots that literally fall out of me- sorry that was tmi) week long affair. Sore boobs beyond belief and although no sweats as such , I get so hot that I wear sleeveless tops at work in the winter.

Is this what I have to look forward to for the next ten years?

axure Sun 28-Oct-12 18:45:58

Ijustwanttobeme I was also getting clots exactly as you described - falling out. Went to GP who referred me to Gynae consultant, he removed a polyp, which made a big improvement.
Still getting very sore boobs and occasional hot flushes and a pain down the inside of my left leg during my period. I'm 46 and will be glad when menopause is over.

ijustwanttobeme Sun 28-Oct-12 19:06:17

Thanks axure, will make appt with GP.

Did go sometime last year and was told it was just my age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now