Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How long to continue HRT

(3 Posts)
lynyrdskynyrd Tue 13-Dec-11 19:55:21

About 3 years ago I had a total hysterectomy and requested HRT. I got the patch type and it works well. The last two times I have been for my repeat the doctor has discussed increased risks of breast cancer, given me reading literature and the figures of how if you take it over 5 years or something there are a few more cases per thousand of breast cancer. Im 52 btw.

I dont know how long to carry on with it. Has anyone had any experience of stopping?

ameliagrey Wed 14-Dec-11 09:37:18

Hi

I've been on HRT for 3 years now.
My gynae says that up to 5 years is relatively safe.

If you have no uterus ( and no ovaries???) so you should be taking oestrogen- only HRT- not oestrogen and progestins.

This is a much safer type of HRT than the combined sort as latest research shows that it's the progestins that are probably the cause of breast cancer- and some studies show that women who take oestrogen-only HRT have a lower risk of breast cancer- even if this is not so, there are very few extra cases due to oestrogen-only HRT after 10 years; stats show 5 more cases per 1000 womn after 10 years , compared with 19 more cases for combined HRT.

I suppose the question is- did you have symptoms before you took HRT- if not, then why take it?

No one can decide what is right for you- it's down to weighing up risks and benefits. If you have really bad meno symptoms then you might want to carry on for say 10 years or longer- if you don't, then you could try weaning yourself off it now and see how you feel.

Ari1964 Sat 18-Jul-15 09:02:36

Hi I'm 51
I've been on evorel conti for 2 and a half years and I feel great
Took it as menopause side effects were horrific- they disappeared completely in about 2 weeks.
I'm worried that if I stop the symptoms will come back
Is it safe to stay on for up to 5 years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now