Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Clinical Menopause aged 34 - how long between surgery and symptoms?

(7 Posts)
PurpleLostPrincess Tue 27-Sep-11 20:58:49

Hello all, I'm chuffed to bits to find out there was a menopause section, thank goodness I found you!!! <<phew emoticon>>

I have a long backstory so I'll put links below. But basically I had my ovaries taken out 6 days ago. I'm 90% sure I've had a few hot flushes, but apart from that I've just been a bit emotional which is to be expected after major abdominal surgery I guess!

My DM had her meno aged 38 and now has osteoperosis and I've read so many conflicting advice about HRT that my head is spinning. I'm quite happy to feel my way as such, but I'm wondering IF I am going to be launched into full meno, how soon will I know what my symptoms are going to be and to what degree? I know every person is different, so I guess I'm just interested to see what other ladies have experienced after having their ovaries removed.

I've been told they won't consider HRT until at least 6 weeks after surgery due to the risk of clotting.

Old threads: Here and Here

thenightisyoung Wed 28-Sep-11 19:23:03

With me it was fairly immediate but having said that my symptoms haven't been all that severe and haven't worsened particularly over time. I think it's quite normal to wait a few weeks post surgery before discussing HRT, I guess because of the clotting issue that you mentioned and also so you can sort out how severe your menopause symptoms actuallyare .I'm 5 months post-op and not yet on full HRT because I need some tests to see whether it would be safe/suitable for me. I do use a local estrogen vaginally to stop things getting too dry (sorry if tmi!) but that is very low dose and I don't think does anything for hot flushes or osteoporosis. That particular symptom did take quite a few weeks to be noticeable.

I was also told that osteoporosis risk shouldn't be addressed with HRT but by diet and weight bearing exercise like walking or running - so get your trainers on smile

PurpleLostPrincess Fri 30-Sep-11 13:17:53

Thanks thenightisyoung, how reassuring! Thankfully I've not had any flushes at all these past couple of days - the weather makes me hot and sweaty but definitely no flushes like before. Yes I had noticed things being a bit dry, so I'll mention that to the GP. I think I have a follow up appointment in November too.

Although I wouldn't wish this sort of surgery on anybody, it's nice to know I'm not alone! smile

I've never been one for running, but as soon as I have 'recovered' I'm planning on going back to line-dancing classes. Sad, I know, but I've always loved doing it, and it keeps the weight off smile

littleoldme Fri 30-Sep-11 13:27:17

Just wanted offer support. I'm facing this surgery soon so will be watching the thread with interest. All the best x

PurpleLostPrincess Fri 30-Sep-11 20:22:01

littleoldme, thank you! Hope it all goes well. When is your surgery and do you know if they are going in abdominally or keyhole? Sorry to be nosey, just getting an idea of how it is for others.

I spoke with a friend the other day and she commented that menopause hasn't even crossed her mind yet and probably won't for many years, it's strange that I'm dealing with it at 'such a young age', but I'm used to it I guess. Also, it means I'll have it out of the way and dealt with when I reach my later years smile

thenightisyoung Fri 30-Sep-11 22:31:10

thanks littleoldme. i hope it all goes well for you. for what it's worth my advice is be kind to yourself. By that I mean try and get as much support as possible, realise that even if you have the op by keyhole it is still a major operation so don't feel too bad if it takes a while to recover. And bear in mind that even if you don't get too many physical symptoms from menopause it can make you more sensitive or anxious. I find that I don't get more stressed than before but i find stressful situations harder to deal with. Some very basic relaxation exercises have helped with that.

PurpleLostPrincess, line dancing sounds great fun and tbh is probably even better exercise than jogging - at least at the pace i jog smile

thenightisyoung Fri 30-Sep-11 22:43:35

btw, mine was keyhole - good because external recovery is quick but the not so good side is that i had a total hysterectomy as well as the ovaries removed and they don't take it out through the keyholes, it comes out vaginally so can leave you feeling kinda bruised down there! Also, totally pathetic I know, but i'm a bit belly button squeamish and one of my four keyholes was right in my belly button - yuck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now