Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is feeling pregnant but not being pregnant a symptom of the end?

(4 Posts)
dottyaboutstripes Fri 02-Sep-11 15:55:14

We've been ttc for quite a while, now on 18th cycle. We are both 42. About 5 days or so after ovulation (well I presume I am ovulating as periods still regular) I start to have pregnancy symptoms.......nausea, fatigue, sore boobs, metallic taste etc. This has been going on for months and months. Several times dh and I have been convinced we are about to get a BFP but nothing doing. So now I'm wondering if this is something that happens when fertility is coming to an end? I know my mum was still having regular periods when she had a hysterectomy at 49 and I just really thought I would have conceived by now

twotesttickles Fri 02-Sep-11 20:42:55

Not necessarily. May I suggest you ask your GP to do some tests - as they can tell if you are perimenopausal with blood tests (or so my GP says anyway).

Hope things work out for you. smile

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Fri 02-Sep-11 20:44:36

I think symptoms of being pregnant when you are not are a sign of trying to concieve!! It is amazing what you can convince yourself of when you want a baby. I know - I've been there.

It is also the case that "symptoms" of pregnancy are also symptoms that your period is about to arrive, particularly the sore boobs and tiredness.

Have you had any fertility tests done? You can have a test that looks at your ovaries I think which may give you an idea?

Lots and lots of luck!

create Fri 02-Sep-11 21:02:06

I agree with ThatsNotMyBabyBelly, many of the pregnancy symptoms are the same as those normally seen in the week(s) before your period is due and of course when you're looking for them, they seem more pronounced.

FWIW I'm the same age as you (though not TTC) and all my normal monthly symptoms do appear to have become more severe in the last 1-2 years. My GP says this is normal at our age, but not a sign that menopause is imminent.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now