Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Is there any form of HRT that is ok for migraine sufferers?

(4 Posts)
duffybeatmetoit Thu 11-Aug-11 19:46:36

GP reluctantly prescribed Prempak for me - reluctance down to a) not liking HRT and b) I suffer periodically from migraines. Started first tablet first thing today and by lunchtime had blinding migraine, copious vomiting and dizziness sufficient that work insisted on someone taking me home.

Spoke to a different GP over the phone who has told me to stop taking it and to come in to discuss it next week. Are there any alternatives to Prempak that might be suitable for me or is HRT going to be a non-starter?

ameliagrey Fri 12-Aug-11 11:14:51

There are loads of options and you could try all kinds.

There are patches for a start.

Basically, the tablets give you estrogen nad progestins in 1 tablet- unless there are 2 different tabs in the pack.

It would help you if you knew which hormone triggered your migraine.

The way to do this would be to use a patch or a gel that was only estrogen, then add in the progestins as a separate tablet for a few days a month, or every 3 months.

I really would recommend that you see a gynae who knows about menopause, or see if you can get to a menopasue clinic as they both often have more experience than your average GP.

duffybeatmetoit Fri 12-Aug-11 12:46:42

The pack had both estrogen and progesteron in it but I only took the first estrogen tablet. Mentioned patches to GP today but she said that having had that bad a reaction to estrogen that I should steer clear of HRT. She has prescribed dixarit instead to sort out the flushes/sweats and it apparently has been used to treat migraines as well. She's hoping that if it its beneficial for those symptoms some of the other symptoms will lessen as a result...

ameliagrey Fri 12-Aug-11 14:08:18

well, I think the fact that your GP does not favour HRT has a lot to do with her decision.

There are all kinds of estrogen and the amount in tablets- you can have all kinds of doses from low to high, and taking it via another route could make a difference. it is also early days- most drs will tell you to try it for 3 months to let your body adapt.

I had horrible nausea when i started on HRt- like morning sickness, but found that splitting the dose- I use gel- into 2 applications sorted it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now