Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

How do you cope with menopausal symptons?

(5 Posts)
bristol10 Tue 12-Jul-11 10:00:37

I have started to get hot flashes/flushes and I have not had a period for 3 months. I have had my hormone levels done and it would appear my fsh levels are high so it looks like this is it. I'm nearly 43.
I am going back to docs in a months time to discuss possible treatment.
Part of me is wary of HRT but part of me is concerned if I dont take it.
I am feeling really miserable at the moment and I am not sleeping too well. I had had a bereavement too which of course doesn't help.

AmeliaGrey Tue 12-Jul-11 16:45:22

As you are only 42, you would be classed as having an early menopause- average UK age is 51 as you might know.

It is a bit of a no brainer TBH about not taking HRT- the risks of ill health later in life are much greater if you have an early meno and don't take it.

If you go to www.menopausematters.co.uk and click on the menu section for HRT it answers a lot of questions.

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Wed 13-Jul-11 20:00:25

Ameliagrey - I just looked at website you suggested as I had an emergency hysterectomy 6 years ago & had never considered the after affects (had no counselling even though I was only 36 when it happened) looking her has made me realise I probably need to make an appt to see my GP to get my levels checked....so many thanks for the tip even though it was not me asking the question grin

bigTillyMint Wed 13-Jul-11 20:02:22

I tried with nothing.

I tried with a progesterone-only pill.

I have just begun a low dose HRT.

Fingers crossed this works!

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 18-Jul-11 11:32:36

The risks to some people of HRT are just too high though - my mum died from advanced breast cancer (she had been on HRT for some time), so I can't take it.

For me, the two things that definitely help control/eradicate the hot flushes are:

1) diet - reduce your carbohydrate intake (especially sugar and alcohol), and cut down/eliminate caffeine - remembering that Coke/Diet Coke both have caffeine in them!

2) taking Boots Menolieve tablets

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Hot flushes during the day are just a nuisance, but during the night when they impact on sleep they are a real problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now