Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Doesn't HRT just postpone the symptoms?

(8 Posts)
Wolfgirl Tue 21-Jun-11 20:54:09

Might be a silly question, so I apologise in advance. Think I've been in full MP for 2 years now, but refused HRT as heard rumours about cancer etc, plus dh wasnt keen. So have just been going through it with little help.

However, I came across this site, just tonight tbh, and am very grateful. Seems I need to do some serious reading about osteoporosis etc, something I think I have just flippantly ignored.

But my question really, is.... if you go on HRT, it doesnt just stop the symptoms, it only postpones them and you will end up going through it all later in your life? is that right?

If that is right, what are the benefits of putting it all off. My kids are young, 5 and 7yrs.

thanks loads in advance.

Hassled Tue 21-Jun-11 20:59:35

This is a useful site - pros and cons of HRT. My understanding certainly isn't that it postpones stuff you'll have to go through anyway - it works in the same way Lemsip relieves the symptoms, rather than cures the cold.

And what on earth has this got to do with your DH? It's your body, it's a shit thing to have to go through, it's not something he has to go through - do whatever you can to feel better. Go see your GP.

Wolfgirl Tue 21-Jun-11 22:07:35

Hassled... the dh thing... I think he was concerned about the cancer\HRT thang.

I get you about the lemsip thing too. Thanks, and thanks for the site... I shall take a gansy.

quite a horrid time of it we ladies suffer, eh! sad

timetosmile Tue 21-Jun-11 22:12:00

Also have a look at NHS choices site, and search for menopause - really useful. Lots to think about regarding bone density, cardiovascular risk, as well as cancer risk etc which is often more well known - chat to your GP too, as often other hormonal problems or diseases can masquerade as MP e.g.thyroid problems.
Oh, and if at then end of all that, you just don't fancy HRT, quite a lot of other medications can make a dent in your troublesome symptoms, such as flushes, without using hormonal treatments

strawberryjelly Wed 22-Jun-11 21:02:12

Lots of questions for you.

if your DCs are young- how old are you?

You are classed as menopausal if you have not had a period for a full year. Or it could be 2 years if you are under 50.

I really don't see what this has to do with your DH. Does he make all your health decisions for you? Unless he is an expert gynae, then you'd be better informing yourself and making your onw choices.

If you are under 45 and your periods have completely stopped then you need HRT until you are at least 50 to prevent osteoporosis.You will have had what is called a premature menopause. Average age of meno in UK is 51-52.

There is no increased risk in breast cancer for young women who take HRT up to the average age of menopause.

After that there is a small risk with 5+ years use.

You could have a look at www.menopausematters.co.uk which has some useful advice written by drs.

strawberryjelly Wed 22-Jun-11 21:04:43

p.s. In some ways HRT postpones it- many friends of mine have had mild symptoms after coming off it. But they took it because they needed it at that stage of their lves- pressures of teens, elderly parents, work- just to be able to function.

The idea is that when you come off it you do so slowly and not literally overnight- you reduce the dosage.

duffybeatmetoit Sat 23-Jul-11 21:43:04

Wolfgirl - I'm in a similar position to you my DD is 3.6 (I'm 48)My GP told me that taking HRT is addictive and just postpones the symptoms and that you will eventually have to deal with it. (She is very anti-HRT though). She suggested going the natural route but the NICE leaflet on alternatives to HRT leaflet that she gave me to read basically said that there is no evidence that any of the natural remedies are anything more than a placebo and knowing that there is bugger all point in going down that route. From what friends tell me it now seems to be the trend to put you on anti-depressants as they are supposed to have a beneficial effect on menopausal symptoms.

Think I'm just going to crack on and put up with it.

ameliagrey Tue 26-Jul-11 15:03:09

lol at HRT being "addictive"!

Some gynaes are very against the use of ADs for women near menopasue age- they see it as an estrogen deficit issue not a mental health issue. If you want to read more on this go to prof John Studd's website.

I am on HRT and have known 2 women who were on it for 10 years. They did have some symptoms when they came off it, but not as bad as before they were on it.

It also depends on your circumstances- a woman who is working, coping with elderly parents or troublesome teens might need it more at 50 than at 60.

Depends how much your life is being affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now