Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

What could be going on here?

(5 Posts)
InLimboAgain Tue 21-Jun-11 10:06:34

Usually my period starts straight away, I have a couple of heavy-ish days, and then it starts tailing off over the next three days. (Yes, i've always been lucky that way!) But a couple of times (not one after the other though) it seems to take a couple of days to kick in -when it's due I'll have all the usual symptoms (tender breasts, hints of period pain etc) but then only a tiny hint of blood, before the period proper begins. This is day 3 now since i was expecting it to start this month.

I'm only 35, i wasn't expecting this for a while yet! Or should i be concerned about any other reason? It hasn't happened consistently enough for me to be really worried, and i'm not in pain or anything like that. Just starting to wonder, esp as we were planning on TTC next year....

idealism Tue 21-Jun-11 10:12:37

You are possibly in the perimenopause - an approx seven build up to the actual menopause. I'd go and get some advice if I was you.....

InLimboAgain Wed 22-Jun-11 07:09:46

It's started now. I am thinking now i'm probably imagining it, confusing those couple of pre-menstrual days when you're on tenterhooks, i don't really know what i meant by it starts 'straight away'! I'll keep an eye out over the next few months. I can't really explain it, it just feels 'different' but i couldn't tell you why. Maybe it's just something that's entered my head because of all our talk of TTC next year, and because i'm travelling over that 35 hill! Thanks anyway.

choux Sun 26-Jun-11 20:41:54

Inlimbo - I don't want to scare you but... you want to have a baby next year. You are worried enough about changes in your cycle to post on an internet forum. That change could be nothing but it could be the start of a drop off in your fertility. If you can find out now what that means you can decide whether you should bring forward trying to conceive now instead of waiting another year.

Not knowing something is happening doesn't mean that it isn't happening. This could be all in your head but why not visit the doctor and get some advice. Taking action now could actually be the difference between becoming a parent and not.

strawberryjelly Mon 27-Jun-11 08:56:50

Agree- fertility drops sharply after 38- if you want a baby and are already having changes in your cycle, you ought to see a dr or ak for tests to measure your hormones etc. waiting another year to TTC then maybe another year before you start having fertility tests after TTC could take you to 38 ish and you'd be losing precious time.

sadly, women are most fertile between 20-35 and post 35 things start to tail off pretty quickly. it's not so bad if you already have a child or tow, to wait, but if it's your first you need to get a move on TBH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now