Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can GP's do a blood test to see if the menopause is kicking in?

(5 Posts)
Meglet Tue 14-Jun-11 21:31:36

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago (cervix and womb whipped out as I'd had some close calls with dodgy smear test results). My consultant said sometimes it can trigger an early menopause.

As I don't have periods I have no idea what my hormones are really up to but I have started sweating in the last few months, I hardly used to sweat in a sauna, I'm skinny and I like the heat. I can't imagine they're hot flushes as it would be more obvious. But maybe something is up.

Can I ask my GP for a blood test to see if things are starting to happen, I'm 37 btw.

strawberryjelly Tue 14-Jun-11 23:04:27

yes you can and to be accurate you should have 2 tests done within the month- something like day 3 then mid cycle.

A hysterectomy can bring on an earlier meno by a few years but at 37 you are very young.

could be thyroid probs or any number of other things.

timetosmile Tue 14-Jun-11 23:06:36

Yes - they're done all the time, chat to your GP, at your age it's useful to know whether you are or not as it may have longer term health consequences e.g. bone density

Meglet Thu 16-Jun-11 20:27:35

thank you both smile.

And thank you for the 'very young' comment strawberry.

strawberryjelly Fri 17-Jun-11 07:39:37

Meglet- well compared to me you are a mere child! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now