Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Can you guess what I'm going to ask (?!)

(10 Posts)
shakey1500 Thu 19-May-11 19:41:33

Not that you all haven't heard it a thousand times....but I think I'm starting the menopause and just wanted some experiences/advice etc.

I'm 42 this year. My mum started the menopause aged 40 so I'm aware that though early, it's possible I will follow suit. I'm still having a period every month or so but the last few months I feel like I've been coming on for weeks, with horrendous pmt symptoms, irritability, bloatedness and so very very tired. I have an almost 4 year old so tiredness expected etc but I've been so sluggish. Those are the symptoms I'm experiencing. No hot flushes as yet.

So I have a few questions if you don't mind-

Is it worth going to the GP to have it confirmed (or denied)? From what I've read, treatment wise (if that's the right phrase) I am keen to avoid HRT and would rather go down a natural/herbal route. Any advice on herbal remedies greatly appreciated.

I've read that, if you have suffered depression in the past, depressive symptoms are more likely to appear during the menopause. Has anyone any experience of this? I have suffered depression badly in the past and am worried that it will manifest itself again sad

Thanks in advance ladies. I appreciate any words of wisdom- including "well there's no point in asking anything till you've gone to the doctors (!!)"

ElectricSoftParade Thu 19-May-11 19:43:41

Shakey No words of wisdom but am watching as very similar to you.

cabbageroses Thu 19-May-11 20:26:13

You should see your GP! And don't be fobbed off.
If your periods stop before age 45 you MUST have HRT as that is a premature meno- without HRT you will have a very high risk of osteoprosis and also heart disease. There are no risks with HRT if you are under 51 - normal meno age- and would naturally be producing hormones.

GP should do a blood test but ideally you need 2-3 in a month- one around day 3 and another mid cycle- as hormone levels fluctuate.

berries Thu 19-May-11 20:32:38

Just another pov, but I more or less stopped my periods (2 in 10 months). Although I'm 47 this is early in my family (mum was 54 before menopause) but I assumed that was it. Have since been diagnosed with thyroid nodules, have had partial thyroidectomy and 2 periods in last 5 weeks. So maybe given the tiredness may be an idea to check your thyroid function as well. I'm slightly gutted as I thought I'd gone through it and would appear I haven't :-)

shakey1500 Fri 20-May-11 20:10:04

Thanks. Right, can see I'm going to have to read up a bit on HRT and make an appointment, also to check thyroid. Sorry to hear that berries sad
ESP- you've got similar symptoms yes? Have you had any hot flushes etc?
Thanks again.

FattyAcid Sun 22-May-11 18:07:46

Menopace and serenity cream are both helpful to me - I am 43 smile

andreaberlin Wed 01-Jun-11 17:25:38

Message deleted

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 01-Jun-11 17:45:40

..... and reporting this one too

shakey1500 Thu 02-Jun-11 23:40:50

Thanks fattyacid.

Erm, not sure what's been posted by andreaberlin?

Anyhow, after posting that I hadn't experienced any hot flushes, cue my first one. Any boy I seriously hope they're not all like that! Bless my customer (older than I) who offered to get me some water. I've also had a permanent headache the last few days so am making that appointment with the GP tomorrow (had still being doing some research of sorts alongside umming and ahhing)

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 03-Jun-11 00:30:29

Don't worry, shakey - andreaberlin was trawling the Menopause boards to try and sell his/her range of products

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: