Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

v. heavy and into second week - when to see GP?

(51 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 20:53:49

Posting in menopause as I think I am heading that way....

In late 40s, have had heavy periods for several years now and have been taking tranexemic acid. I hadn't had a period for 2 or 3 months, but am now on day 12 of heavy bleeding. Got some iron tablets from the chemist. Plan to go to the doctor once I've finished bleeding as due a smear. But wondering at what point I should seek more urgent advice?

lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 22:00:33

anyone?

sharbie Tue 03-May-11 22:03:35

i had this a few months ago - i am 44
v light fortnight followed by fortnight of v v heavy horrific blood
i have also had a few symptoms of meno - mood swings and night sweats so think i am def starting it
the next month was only two days and this month back to normal 5 days med flow

sharbie Tue 03-May-11 22:05:36

i posted on here at the time and got some good advice.not painful so have decided to not see gp and wait and see what happens.

Hassled Tue 03-May-11 22:07:06

I should speak to the Dr tomorrow. This happened to me quite recently - the Period That Just Wouldn't Stop. I was prescribed Progesterone - and it worked, the period stopped, but I must say that the Progesterone made me mental - all I wanted to do was cry and eat. I was really in a state. I didn't take the whole 2 week's worth because I was just so unhappy - be prepared.

The good news is that it was hopefully a one-off - I've had 2 normal periods since then.

lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 22:07:26

Nightmare, isn't it Sharbie? Just a bit concerned that I'm assuming it's menopause symptoms - and wondering how long I should carry on bleeding vv heavily before I should seek advice, incase it's something else

lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 22:09:06

thanks Hassled - will try to call the GP tomorrow then. Tho not sure I can cope with the side effects you describe!

sharbie Tue 03-May-11 22:11:11

bloody horrible lilolil smile well for me i set a date in my head (next weekend) and then that stopped me getting too stressed about it all. smile you must go if you are worried though.
makes you feel so old as well.i spoke to my mum and she went through same at same age i think this does seem to be a bit genetic.

FrameyMcFrame Tue 03-May-11 22:12:17

I think you should go to GP soon as possible. You must be exhausted and drained after that much blood loss, get plenty of sleep and drink lots of fluids.

I had a similar weird period thing last month with a migraine attached and it took me most of the next month to recover. I'm back on now but really late and v heavy again.

lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 22:17:54

the worst thing is reading that it can go on like this for years before actually reaching menopause. That cheered me up. Not.

lilolilmanchester Tue 03-May-11 22:21:05

thanks Framey, am not too tired at the mo but guess it'll catch up with me

Hassled Tue 03-May-11 22:43:56

It is a bloody (sorry!) nightmare - I had this happy naive idea that my periods would slow down and then just one day stop. I thought I might get a bit sweaty but that would be the extent of it.

I had no idea that I'd have the 2 a month periods (last year - that was a riot hmm), the periods that don't stop, the forgetfulness, all the rest of the shit. There is no justice.

sharbie Wed 04-May-11 00:16:05

oh yeah forgot to post about the forgetfulness smile

lilolilmanchester Wed 04-May-11 21:33:41

ha ha, have got that too Sharbie

Putneygirl21 Thu 05-May-11 19:22:56

Hello - I'm a newbie so forgive me if this subject has been aired many times..

I am 49 (how did that happen), and have had erratic periods for about 3/4 years. Before children I was a regular 28-day-cycle girl, but now they seem to come more frequently but with no discernable pattern. They are often 3 weeks apart with at least a week of bleeding (so only 2 weeks off/one week on)..

Plus waaaaaaay more heavy. So that even the biggest tampon won't do it. Have had to wear an always flat towel thing as well as the tampon.

But now it is 7 weeks today since my last period! Just don't know whether I am coming or going. Also feel shattered all the time without any significant lifestyle changes.

In the last 2 - 3 weeks my internal thermostat is all over the place. I don't (yet?) get the bed drenching night sweats, but I can go from boiling hot and having to throw off the covers one moment to shivering in 5 minutes or so. Daytime too. I seem to be constantly taking off a cardigan then putting it on again.

I haven't been to the GP yet, but when I had my last smear I told the nurse about the heavy/irregular periods. She suggested the Mirena coil and said it really sorted out al these issues.

Does anyone have experience of using the Mirena under these circs? Seems too good to be true.......

I'm grateful for any response or feedback - it is weird being a newbie lol!

puddinghead Thu 05-May-11 20:55:17

"I had this happy naive idea that my periods would slow down and then just one day stop."

Ha ha, me too. Thank the lord for mumsnet for putting me straight about why my periods are going haywire (age 46). Gushing, two weekly, then as per normal... At the moment I'm experiencing pmt like a teenager including a massive lower back ache (tho' not sure if that's due to too much digging at the weekend...).
Also mood swings and scattiness/forgetfulness... So does this just continue until The Last One?

lilolilmanchester Thu 05-May-11 23:47:56

Putneygirl - hi - welcome to FB - I could have written your post, your situation just like mine - and hi puddinghead too. I've made an appointment to see the GP. Whilst it seems that almost "anything goes" when it comes to periods for the years (YEARS FFS!!!) leading up to menopause, I feel I need to be sure it isn't anything else. Sure it won't be but would rather check. Plus if they can give me anything to stop this particular period, I might just risk the side effects Hassled describes - I'm just heading into 3rd week and will spare you the details but horrendous day in, day out....... (Tranexemic acid not doing a thing this time)

ChateauRouge Thu 05-May-11 23:55:33

Rofl@ welcome to fb... freudian slip there?

lilolilmanchester Fri 06-May-11 00:03:53

oops, sorry!!! Confusion another symptom maybe?!

lilolilmanchester Fri 06-May-11 00:05:01

(the worst thing being that I read your post at least 3 times Chateau before I could work out what was so funny!)

cabbageroses Fri 06-May-11 10:50:47

Your only options are HRT or the Mirena coil.

Possibly the combined pill.

Best to see your GP and ask for a referral to a gynae.

lilolilmanchester Fri 06-May-11 11:30:13

thanks Cabbage, have been seeing the GP for a couple of years re heavy bleeding, but NOTHING like the last 2 weeks. I have appt on monday and will discuss referral. Your post has put my mind at rest a bit, don't really want a hysterectomy if it can be avoided and was beginning to worry that might be only option . And worry that it might be something more sinister. What will be will be I guess, need to get on and find out. Breathes.

crazynanna Fri 06-May-11 11:36:00

Does anyone get really bad indigestion? And insomnia?
Or am I just eating too much and drinking too much coffee? Quite plausable

cabbageroses Fri 06-May-11 11:49:55

Hyste. are old hat for heavy bleeding so avoid at all costs if out of date drs suggest! Mirena, def., HRT or even endometrial ablation.
Good luck!

lilolilmanchester Fri 06-May-11 15:32:54

no indigestion crazynanna, but not sleeping very well. Thanks cabbage, you sound like an expert on the topic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now