Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

I am seeing the GP tonight about starting HRT

(22 Posts)
Ormirian Thu 17-Mar-11 15:12:51

because I have had enough of the vile symptoms and of fannying around with supplements that work for a while and then stop hmm

How long will it take me to feel a bit better? Is it fairly instantaneous?

cabbageroses Thu 17-Mar-11 16:54:43

I felt much better in about 3 days.

Ormirian Thu 17-Mar-11 17:07:02

Thanks cabbages. I am so looking forward to losing the flushes and not having to wash my clothes and my sheets every day!

cabbageroses Thu 17-Mar-11 19:05:56

Patches are safer and so is gel- most GPs simply prescribe pills, but if you cna have a choice ask about the above. With gel you will also have to take oral progestins for some of the month, or every 3 months.

Ormirian Fri 18-Mar-11 09:38:39

Thanks cabbages sadly I didn't read you post until I'd been in. Wasn't offered an option! I have a prescription for Elleste duet but to go back if they don;t suit me. Will get them today and see how it goes over the next week or so.

Ormirian Tue 22-Mar-11 16:51:31

Well the hot flushes and night sweats are gone! Completely. Such a relief. I've had 2 good night's sleep at last.

cabbageroses Tue 22-Mar-11 18:54:53

good news then. feeling okay?

Ormirian Tue 22-Mar-11 20:41:01

So far !

orienteerer Tue 22-Mar-11 20:47:23

Mirena coil also acts as form of HRT with added benefit of contraceptiongrin.

Ormirian Wed 23-Mar-11 13:14:30

Thankfully we don't need contraception as DH had the snip after DS2 was born!

Had a bad night again last night but hoping it's just because my body is settling down.

Did you notice a difference in weight gain/loss on HRT. One of the most upsetting but minor problems is how easily i piled on the weight over the last year and how hard it is proving to shift it.

donnie Wed 23-Mar-11 13:49:06

Hi Ormirian. I have been on HRT for 9 months now and have not gained weight. I am on a low dosage patch (everol) and find this suits me really well. I take a calcium supplement but other that there are no problems. Weight loss/gain is a significant issue fro me as well, as someone who has always had complexes and issues with being either too fat or too thin.
HTH

cabbageroses Wed 23-Mar-11 14:31:26

Orient- the Mirena only contains progesterone- it is not HRt really. You also need oestrogen. I know this because my gynae has offered me the Mirena as well as oestrogen if i want to stay on HRT longer term- and I am way past the age when I can conceive.

cabbageroses Wed 23-Mar-11 14:34:37

You won't gain weight because of HRT but you will gain weight as part of getting older if you keep eating the same.

I am struggling to lose 4lbs over my ideal weight, which is piled round my tummy and waist. it's not a lot sure, but in the past I could shift that in a couple of weeks. Now i can still do that but if i drop back on the exercise it goes back on very easily. it's a case of lose 3lbs, put back one.....

Ormirian Wed 23-Mar-11 14:45:09

Exactly cabbages! I have always stayed more or less at the same weight. I did gain a bit after DS2 was born but that was simply eating too much while bfing. Normally I kept round about 11s. This years I have gone up to 13s and I honestly cannot thing I have eaten that much more. I did stop running for a while due to injuries but even so, 2 stone in just over a year? I have shed 12 lbs of that but it just won't go any lower. Driving me mad!

cabbageroses Wed 23-Mar-11 19:08:22

You need to exercise more- evidently cutting out 250 cals a day will reduce your weight by 1-2 lbs a week- so either burn those cals off or get rid of 250 cals of food.
I am tiny- I once topped 8st in my early 20s during a very unhappy phase, but normally I am 7s 7 - 7s 10.
I went up to 8st again over the last year and am working hard to get below 7 12 now.
I am not underweight before anyone suggests that- my BMI is 19.5 ish and my fat count is 25%.

Ormirian Wed 23-Mar-11 20:05:03

I am trying! I walked 8 miles yesterday and am running approx 3 miles 3 times a week. Finding time is the problem.

I might add that I am 5'11" so the weights I am at aren't that horrendous.

cabbageroses Wed 23-Mar-11 21:17:04

are you calorie counting too?
that's impressive exercise.

Ormirian Thu 24-Mar-11 12:57:58

No cabbage - I am following a low-carb diet that I have used before and normally it works like a dream. I am wondering if I need to consider something else.

cabbageroses Thu 24-Mar-11 13:14:45

I don't know- all i can suggest is that you look into cal counting.

although you are exercising a lot, the actual cals burned up may not be as many as you think.

I used to think I was using up masses but when I used a website- it's called walk, jog, run, and you plot your route, weight etc etc- it showed i was only burning off about 180-200cals over a fast 3mile walk. That's not much more than in 2 small slices of toast or 2 biscuits.

you need a deficit ideally of 250 a day below your ideal intake so maybe do some sums?

bigTillyMint Thu 24-Mar-11 18:06:43

Ormenvy at no more sweats/flushes.

I have been on notheristerone - progesterone-only pill for 10 days now, so am still waiting to see how it affects my periods which have been very irregular and horrendous when they come.

However, the iron tablets for anaemia are making a huge difference to my energy levelssmile

I too am having to be very careful about my weight - it's so depressing not being able to eat as much as beforesad

andreaberlin Wed 01-Jun-11 17:33:36

Message deleted

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 01-Jun-11 17:41:26

Another one reported

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now