Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

phytoestrogens

(7 Posts)
tickelybiscuit Thu 17-Mar-11 11:34:31

I found PM phytoGen (solgar) helped hughly. I have reduce anxiaty, joint pain ,vaginal dryness, increased sex drive more alert and enthusiastic. Regained my shinny hair and have better skin.I do not sleep for longer but feel well rested. No idea what the side effects might be?
My understanding of the alternative, HRT, with regard to osteoporosis is that although it reduces bone dencity loss while on HRT when you stop the density soon reverts to what it would be like for your age and menopausal onset.

cabbageroses Thu 17-Mar-11 15:06:53

Not quite true TB about bones and HRT- think of it as filling up the fuel tank- if it's already low when you reach 50/menopause it's soon going to be on empty after another 5-10 years.

If you can top if up for a while then you are going to have more there once the natural age/hormone -related loss starts all over.

I am not on HRT for my bones , though it is a positive "side effect". I managed to increase my bone density quite a bit over 3 years without HRT- in fact when I had my last bone scan I had only been on HRT for a few months- too soon to make any difference to the scans as it takes 2-3 years for bones to get better or worse.

Isee the HRT as providing some extra support whilst I do what i can with lifestyle and diet.

tickelybiscuit Thu 17-Mar-11 21:32:10

What were your lifestyle and dietary changes that you would attribute to improved BD?

cabbageroses Thu 17-Mar-11 22:21:27

I got a personal trainer for a few weeks to show me resistance exercises to do at home. Lunges, press ups, leg lifts, using ankle weights etc.

I started walking 3 miles up and down hills 4-5 x a week.

Diet- more foods other than dairy which contain calcium such as chick peas, lentils, green veg every day, fish and tinned sardines, and more fruit and veg.

tickelybiscuit Fri 18-Mar-11 19:08:45

thanks for the advice (buy the way I am 43) pritty fit but need to eat more greens

wendihouse22 Tue 21-Jun-11 08:49:44

Can I ask.....how long did the Solgar take to kick in? I'm in agony with my spine, neck, hip, feet. I do have cervical degeneration and the bones in my feet are shocking as was ballet dancer for years. I expect my bones to be painful at 49 considering what I put them through but, think maybe menopausal and find myself in agony after each gym session. Don't really want to see GP.

Pickles2011 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:19:46

tickelybiscuit The National Osteoporosis Society has a really helpful booklet called Healthy Bones - Facts about Food, that explains all the various benefits, and the arguments, about various food sources. You can download it from their website www.nos.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now