Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Early menopause at 36...anyone else?

(12 Posts)
ciderandblack Mon 14-Feb-11 20:00:41

I have had it confirmed at the doctor's today. I had thought it was happening for a while as I've had practically no periods since childbirth 2 years ago and hot flushes keep coming and going. My mum and grandmother also started the menopause early. I feel worried about whether it will be even earlier for my DD. The doctor was talking about HRT and I've been referred to the clinic at the hospital. Even though I had suspected what the doctor was going to tell me today I feel pretty crap about it. I just wondered if anyone else was going through/had been through this at a similar age?

rathlin Mon 14-Feb-11 21:09:10

Hi, I went through it overnight at 34yrs - surgery induced. On oestrogen patches & calcium. Worst part has not been able to have more children but haven't really had any symptoms apart from dry eyes. Can't offer any advice on your DD but hopefully the menopause docs will be able to advise.

veg2grow Mon 14-Feb-11 21:15:31

Slightly older I am 39 like Rathlin it was surgery induced. I've been on HRT for the last 8 weeks as well as calcium tablets...feel fine now. Was initially very upset as I don't have a birth child but glad to get rid of the useless bits!

ciderandblack Mon 14-Feb-11 21:38:32

Thanks for the replies. I feel down about not being able to have more children when actually I didn't think that I wanted more (irrational obviously). It just feels worse when the choice is taken away I suppose. I should be feeling glad that I am going to get some more treatment/advice because the GP was pretty insensitive. He gave me a wad of paper to read through about early menopause and kept referring to it as my bedtime readinghmm.

cabbageroses Tue 15-Feb-11 08:48:25

There is a support group- think it's called the Daisy network- google.

Guadalupe Tue 15-Feb-11 08:54:34

I'm 33 and definitely peri-menopausal after a hysterectomy at 30. I kept my ovaries so it wasn't instant but I have quite a few symptoms and my blood test showed changes last time though it is inconsistent.

I am seeing a herbalist and this really helps me but my gp is very keen for me to have conventional hrt when menopause has happened. I don't really like the idea of being of it for 20 years I must say.

2moggies Mon 28-Feb-11 15:45:28

Yes I was 37. Didn't get any information, advice or referral from GP, just blood test result.

Shiner Mon 28-Feb-11 16:09:31

I was perimenopausal from 32, and was diagnosed as menopausal at 38 although I have had the odd couple of eggs after that (I'm now 39). My mother and grandmother also had an early menopause, so it didn't come as a complete surprise to me. I had twins at age 34 so I feel extremely lucky. Oddly enough however, I also feel sad at the same time that any "chance" of conceiving again is effectively over.

Although it must be a worry that your daughter will also be at risk of an early menopause, don't let it be; there's at least as much chance that she won't have inherited it as chance that she will. My sister has the "same" genetic background as me (ie same parents and grandparents), but she hasn't had an early menopause.

My doctor prescribed a contraceptive pill instead of "proper" HRT - I don't know how common this practice is, but so far it seems fine. My hair has stopped falling out, the flushes have gone, and the desert-like dryness has gone. Horay!

Hope you feel happier soon smile

2moggies Wed 02-Mar-11 21:39:25

I guess the main advantage of the pill over HRT is that its free! And its something that young women take so it seems a bit more normal.

To me the worse thing was not being able to have children, because I was trying for my first when it happened. The next worse thing was just feeling that it's not right, that I was a bit of a freak. But I've heard now from so many other women in the same position it seems a lot more normal now, and I feel a lot better.

OpheliaBumps Wed 16-Mar-11 12:53:47

cider the Daisy Chain Network are a support group you can use. I used to use them years ago (I was a shocking 17 years old when diagnosed, so vvvv early meno for me).

I am on HRT, I have tried a number of different ones before finding one that suited me and my infertility consultant (I had donor egg ivf), so do push for whatever suits you best. You'll be on the pill/hrt for a long time, so it's important it works for you.

Also, if you do want to expand your family, you can use donor eggs.

As 2moggies said, I felt a complete freak, but it's not that rare (obv being quite as young as me is rare though), and there is support out there.

Stangirl Sun 03-Apr-11 11:38:56

I was diagnosed at 37 - it had been hidden by my use of the pill and only dx when I was trying to conceive. I have been on HRT ever since - marvellous stuff. I've also conceived using donor eggs and have one DD and a DS on the way. Don't worry - you're just getting it over and done with earlier. I do recommend HRT though - I was getting all achey before I took it.

wantingadvice Mon 06-Jun-11 11:28:58

Hi, this message is mainly for OpheliaBumps. It's nice to find someone that I feel I can relate to a bit more.

I was 16 when I found out that I had already gone through the menapause. I actually had lost all of my eggs before I started my period so estimates are that I was around 12. I was initially put on the pill, which gave me periods and allowed me to feel a bit more normal. I liked that the pill was a normal thing for someone my age to carry around and I didn't have to feel embarrassed or that I had to explain anything to people when they saw me taking it. I'm now 24 and am due to start on HRT- only problem is that the hrt tablet they've given me looks like no tablet I've ever seen. The though of taking it is making me feel really anxious as it just brings all those feelings of being 'abnormal' to the forefront. I, like a lot of you, have found the doctors to be very dismissive. I don't think they appreciate the difference something like packaging of a pill could make.

I was wondering if any of you knew of a hrt tablet that appeared more like a contraceptie pill? The current one I've been given is not discrete at all, I'd be happy to look into anything that would even look slightly less imposing than the current large red tablet I've been given to take.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: