Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns do consult your GP.

Feeling nauseous and dizzy on HRT

(10 Posts)
PinkElephantsOnParade Thu 30-Dec-10 01:18:48

Been on HRT for about 4 months now.

At first had no problems but about 4 weeks ago started suffering from constant nausea and dizzyness. Almost impossible to eat, can't walk in a straight line. Was taking Prempak C.

GP changed me over to Femoston 2 weeks ago but symptoms no better.

I am at my wits end as I can't work properly and constantly feel like I have a hangover.

Will I have to stop HRT altogether? Depressed at the thought of going back to the constant hot flushes and general malaise I had before but I can't go on like this.

Anyone had similar experience?

cabbageroses Thu 30-Dec-10 16:59:29

go back and ask to change to another kind- there are dozens. if your GP is no good, go to a menopause clinic.

PinkElephantsOnParade Thu 30-Dec-10 17:31:47

started throwing up this morning.

Went to see GP and BP was up so she told me to stop the HRT for 2 weeks to see if symptoms subside, then will consider what to do from there.

Also gave me some anti sickness pills to deal with the immediate symptoms so starting to feel a bit more human now.

This GP actually took the time to listen to me so I didnt feel fobbed off this time.

donnie Mon 03-Jan-11 11:50:24

I am on HRT patches (evorel) and I have no symptoms like that - perhaps you could try those?

PinkElephantsOnParade Mon 03-Jan-11 12:07:22

Going back to GP in about a week - will ask about Evorel then. Thanks donnie.

cabbageroses Mon 03-Jan-11 17:25:46

You may well be better off with HRT that doesn't go through your digestive system- so ask to try patches or gels.

You might also have been given a dose that is too strong for you.

I felt sick when I first used gel but got round this by dividing the dose into morning and evening instead of one high dose morning.

My dr is happy for me to experiment and do whatever suits.

donnie Tue 04-Jan-11 18:16:57

yes I think one of the upsides of patches is that they bypass your digestion and so nausea etc can be avoided. I would be interested to know what your GP says about this Pinkelephants - let us know!

donnie Tue 04-Jan-11 18:18:26

I should also add that I am on the lowest dosage (25mg) and I take a daily supplement of osteocare tablets and also evening primrose oil.

Ollynannie2011 Thu 20-Nov-14 22:12:12

Hi
I've been on Prempack for 3 months. 1st month was fine, hot flushes stopped but gradually over the past 2 months I have felt awful. After about 5hours after taking the HRT i feel really sick, dizzy, panicky,and really unwell. I've never felt so miserable and unwell every day. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow and thinking of stopping them altogether. I'm at my wits end

pinkfrocks Thu 20-Nov-14 22:49:56

This is a zombie thread so might help to start a new one?

Try not to think about giving up- but think about changing to another type. Prempak is an old fashioned for of HRT made with synthetic oestrogens which may cause side effects. There are many other better forms of HRT now which use hormones the same as those we make ourselves.

It may be that the dose is too high for you or that this type just doesn't work for you.

Many women get on very well with a bio identical oestrogen and a separate bio identical progesterone. Have a look at the www.menopausematters.co.uk website under HRT for lots of info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now