Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

'bout time I introduced myself

(14 Posts)
LilMissy Sat 09-Jul-05 23:25:25

I figured it was about time I introduced myself properly so here it goes:

My name is Carla and I'm an 18yr old student from Jersey, C.I.
I don't have kids yet although I'd love a large family from a young age. I come on mumsnet as a way of gathering info because as I see it you don't buy a car without getting the info first (sounds stupid when put like that but hopefully you see what I mean plus I'm terrified that when I have kids mumsnet will disappear )

I currently work at Clarks (for all my sins ) but come this September I will be studying Adult Nursing at Bournemouth Uni (grades permitting)which I can't wait for, and eventually want to be a Midwife

Thats me in a nutshell.. not very exciting i'm afraid

Nbg Sat 09-Jul-05 23:30:12

Hellooooooooooooooooo!

Another Clarks troop

LilMissy Sat 09-Jul-05 23:49:55

Yup!! Sooo not looking forward to back to school.. my knees and thumbs will NEVER forgive me :O

LilMissy Sat 09-Jul-05 23:50:26

oops

LilMissy Sun 10-Jul-05 19:32:25

bump

MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 19:33:54

Hi LilMissy. Welcome.
Why don't you do direct entry into Midwifery?

cadbury Sun 10-Jul-05 19:35:53

hello! welcome to mumsnet. Good for you for doing a profile. I've been here a year now, and I still haven't got round to doing one!

Very {envy] at your plans to do midwifery. Would love to do that. Maybe one day.

See you round,
Cadders xxxxxx

Fauve Sun 10-Jul-05 19:36:56

Hello! Welcome

I wish Mumsnet had been around when I had my pregnancies and births - might have gone a bit better Good for you for planning ahead.

LilMissy Sun 10-Jul-05 19:57:48

Mrs Doolittle I wanted to entry directly into midwifery but my careers advisor told me a)I'd never get a place and b)she wouldn't be happy having someone as young as me to deliever her baby and she was sure others wouldn't either

Thankfully I had the sense to ask a local midwife and she was really helpful and told me i'd be of more use doing general nursing first as i'd be better equiped to deal with any problems that could occur rather than just the general baby area

charleepeters Sun 10-Jul-05 20:26:54

Hi Carla - im a young mum im 18 and i have ds 10 months - its nice to here from someone my own age! hope to chat to you soon

luv Charlee

LilMissy Sun 10-Jul-05 20:33:37

Hey Charlee.. Will catch you around x

MrsDoolittle Sun 10-Jul-05 22:36:40

Lilmissy,
I would investigate it further personally. Nurse training is very hard work, you have to really want to do it. I think your career advisor doesn't know what she was talking about - sorry
I perfectly understand what your local midwife said, it is a commonly held view. However, it is hotly disputed the growing 'direct entry' fraternity.
My best friend is a midwife, she delivered dd. Now she is a fabulous midwife, but I could never imagine her as a nurse. It's worth a bash and investigating further - honestly.
FWIW I'm a nurse and a lecturer.

LilMissy Mon 11-Jul-05 19:27:00

I've done 2 different work placements at different wards at my local hospital for 2 weeks each and loved each one, plus I've decided to have nursing as a fall back plan just incase I find I'm not so keen on midwifery (can't see it happening but its best to plan )

I completely agree with you re my careers officer.. I chose to ignore her.

Another point for nursing v midwifery was I'm more likely to get funding from the States of Jersey for nursing then I was for midwifery.. (unfortunately I don't qualify for NHS funding )

Sometimes it seems like the whole world doesn't want me to be a midwife but I'm not giving up that easily

MrsDoolittle Wed 13-Jul-05 19:42:48

Good on you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now