Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bear in mind that this is a public forum that anybody with internet access can read. You may wish to limit the amount of personally-identifiable information you disclose.

scottishmumto1

(24 Posts)
scottishmumto1 Tue 15-Mar-05 20:09:43

hi all. i am happily married with a 6.5mth dd who is the light of our lifes.
i live in the highlands of scotland, miles away from most of you mumnetters.
i am a stay at home mum and loving it. you couldnt get me to go back to work for anything, this is much easier than previous jobs.
hobbies are, thats if i ever get a chance, motorbikes, outdoors, animals and the 31 pets i have.
this site is just brill. it certainly distracts me too much and its good to know lots of other people have parenting questions too

vict17 Tue 15-Mar-05 20:11:05

Hi Scottishmum and welcome to mumsnet! 31 pets?!! Have you got a herd?!!

Aimsmum Tue 15-Mar-05 20:15:48

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 15-Mar-05 20:16:03

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Tue 15-Mar-05 20:16:16

Message withdrawn

Fimbo Tue 15-Mar-05 20:20:34

Hi I am Scottish too, but live in England now. I have a dd (7 in June) and ds (15mths), oh and a dh who at the moment I could happily kill as he has gone to work in London this week and my kids are ill !!

phatcat Tue 15-Mar-05 20:22:48

Hi Scottishmumto1 - whereabouts are you (don't say if you don't want tho'!) just curious to know as I'm on Skye. I love motorbikes too - last rode was when I was 10 weeks pg with ds1 then I sold it - ah well, one of these days ...

scottishmumto1 Tue 15-Mar-05 20:28:41

phatcat
hi. me in sutherland. been to skye many times. used to be a van driver for skye express and white arrow. skye is lovely, went there for a couple of days on honeymoon
my bike is charged and ready to go apart from mot for the summer. aint been on it in over year and half

phatcat Tue 15-Mar-05 21:51:10

cool! we lived in Clachtoll for seven months a few years ago - I still love those two beaches. at your mbike being ready to go - I have fab memories of the road between Ullapool and Lochinver on mine ....

scottishmumto1 Wed 16-Mar-05 14:14:44

phatcat, is that the clachtoll at lochinver. been there a few times delivering too. where abouts on skye are you.

the 31 pets are 3 dogs 2 cats 5 rabbits 1 ferret 2 terrapins 1 snake 1 rat 9 hens 1 rooster and 6 ducks

scottishmumto1 Wed 16-Mar-05 17:56:59

finally got a picture of dd attached with much help from dh

phatcat Wed 16-Mar-05 20:09:54

What a sweetheart! Lovely pic scottishmum. Yes, it was the Clachtoll six miles down the single track north of Lochinver. We're now just north of Portree on Skye.

scottishmumto1 Wed 16-Mar-05 20:43:57

yeah round that drumbeg road is lovely. i love claashnessie beach. so are you a sahm or do you work. when i was delivering in skye and had to stay the night i used to stay in a b and b on staffin road in skye. if you get anything delivered by white arrow chancing are i have delivered to you. i used to cover if the usual driver was on holiday. so skye should be a lot busier this summer with no toll on the bridge

phatcat Wed 16-Mar-05 23:14:57

yep - currently a SAHM - expecting ds2 in 7 weeks. I used to do software development but thinking of a total career change when the time comes to have a job again. Funnily enough I've been investigating training to become a motorbike instructor. Although every time I watch Jamie's Dinners I think I might want to be a dinner lady! There's a general feeling it's going to be a good summer without the toll - Portree is already starting to get busy. You must really know the Highlands well from your delivery job - can't help thinking that would be a nice job in the summertime? Not particularly family friendly hours though I suppose.

scottishmumto1 Thu 17-Mar-05 19:43:39

van driving is very antisocial. with skye express i was doing 80 hours in 5 days.
hope everything goes good with ds2. my dh used to do motorbike training. he did it in this area for a company in inverness.

phatcat Thu 17-Mar-05 19:51:35

crikey - that'd kill me. I can see now why you said being a SAHM is easier.

scottishmumto1 Thu 17-Mar-05 20:11:31

it nearly killed me too. had a accident one morning, not my fault, idiot overtaking on a corner coming towards me. he was lot worse of than me.
so what kind of bike did you have last . i have a kawasaki zxr400. its brill. love it although would love something bigger, but then again with a wee one now sure makes you think if something happened to me.
are you having a good pregnancy. how old is ds1 and have you any dd

phatcat Thu 17-Mar-05 20:29:13

nightmare - dodgy overtaking by incompetent car drivers is the biggest problem on the roads up here. I've been seconds away from a head-on caused by this more times than I would like. Nice bike! I had a Honda vfr400 - very similar I think? ds1 is 23 months, no dd and ds2 will deffo be the last! So far so good with the pregnancy - though getting very uncomfortable now. Did you go to Raigmore for DD?

scottishmumto1 Thu 17-Mar-05 20:42:28

yeah raigmore it was. where do you have to go. is portree or broadford equipped for births. i was in for 5 days as had to have emergency c section. if i had stayed any longer i would have went mad. luckily i had a room to myself though and had quite a few visitors. but the hospital was roasting at night. that bad i thought i wet the bed but it was sweat with the heat. i just had dd in her nappy at night
vfr - good choice. do you think you will get back on a bike

phatcat Thu 17-Mar-05 21:09:35

God that's my memory of Raigmore too - the heat. I had ds1 at the start of the 2003 heatwave and it was awful being cooped up in there. I cried when I felt the fresh air on my face when they let me out. I'm going to Broadford this time - nice new midwife led maternity unit. Though I do feel a bit paranoid about being 2 hours away from Raigmore in the event of an emergency - no c/s / ventouse / forceps /epidural available. I'll definitely ride again at some point - we're a bit strapped for money at the moment though and sports bikes are just money-pits. So your dd is 6.5 months - have you started weaning? Is she moving around yet? Those playnests are a godsend aren't they - we've got the same one .

scottishmumto1 Thu 17-Mar-05 21:24:40

i have just managed to get her off breast and onto bottle. yeah she is a good wee eater. permentally steaming and blending fruit and veg. she aint quite moving around yet. she is trying though. we have a walker for her and she gets around in that pretty good. the cats and dogs know not to get in her way now.
yeah the bikes do cost a bit. we usually do a run in the summer to kyleakin for a meal then home. i love the ullapool to garve road, could go up and down that all day.
thats good that you will be nearer home and not miles away at raigmore. hope it all goes good for you. it seems a nice hospital that one in broadford. i have delivered gas cylinders to it before. is ds1 looking forward to ds2

phatcat Thu 17-Mar-05 21:42:04

sounds like you're doing great with the weaning - long may it continue - we've had quite a trial with ds foodwise - he's not a very good eater by and large. I like the Ullapool - Garve road too - it's been a while since we went up that way - does the Aultgushie still have the Inn and Oot signs - always made me laugh. Before ds our favourite run out was to Applecross over the Bealach Na Bo - always good for a few brown trouser moments! I'm not quite sure how ds1 will react to ds2 - the other day dp drew him a baby in chalk on his board and he rubbed it out straight away! I have faith it'll all work out in the end tho - I'm glad it's only going to be a 2 year gap. Will you have anymore do you think?

scottishmumto1 Fri 18-Mar-05 09:13:42

yeah pretty sure that place still has them in and oot sighns.
applecross - never did it on the bike yet. but have been up there loads in the van. it is a pretty hairy road. seen buses going up there, there is no way you get me on a bus on that road. applecross is lovely, but to be honest i hated it in the van as it took so long and i would only have 1 parcel to deliver.
i would just love more kids. see how mother nature goes.
i'm sure ds1 will be fine. although i would think it will be difficult at the start. thats what i worry about when ever i have another. i spend so much time with dd, i sometimes wonder how i would manage to split my time between 2 kids, but you do manage. my friend has 2 boys with about 2 years between them and they get on great.
so have you ever been up to sutherland and beyond.
used to live in caithness. but i dont think i could move from here. it s just perfect. i have a stream at the side of the house and a loch at the front. the views are just beautiful.

phatcat Fri 18-Mar-05 19:58:46

Stream and loch sounds fabulous - I'm sure dd will love it when she's running around. We're up on a hill with views of Cuillins and Harris. I know North Sutherland a bit - used to ride up to Durness and Sandwood Bay when were in Clachtoll, but never made it over to Caithness. Anyway - great to talk to you - no doubt see you around on other threads. I seem to be on here a lot at the moment - getting my fix while I can before ds2 arrives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now